BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Doors and windows in circular wall

When a user creates a full circle wall AC it separates it into 2 joined semi-circular walls. Generally speaking this action is OK until you have to put doors and windows in it. If, as in my case, the door or window is placed where the 2 walls meet. In that situation only one wall captures the door/window and not the other so when observed in 3D only half of the element is shown. If it was only one or two doors/windows it could be possible to rotate both walls so that the doors/windows don't straddle where the two walls meet but if thee are lots  of elements it might not be possible to solve the issue which is my case. My solution was to place the element in both walls and then move them so that they overlapped each other. Works but it will screw up the BOM showing too many doors/windows. Is there a way to insert a door/window where the two walls meet without having to use work-arounds like the ones I mentioned? This has been an issue for many many years and I am wondering if there is any chance that this two wall issue will be solved such that a circular full circle wall will actually be a single element?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Thanks for the replies, Barry and DGDketcher.  While those methods work it does add extra steps to reconfigure the wall and there still might be an issue withdoor/element placement. It seems that these methods are the only solutions at this time. As a mechanical CAD designer I find it odd that AC can't handle a full circle wall as a single element like the various MCAD softwares like the one I use. Maybe somebody could explain it to me some day.

Thanks and regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DGSketcher
Legend

Have you considered the other option of moving the split points around the circular base line? They don't have to be 180 degree arcs and you could also have more than two segments if you wanted.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

As DGSketcher says, don' t rotate the wall as that will move the doors/windows.

Just adjust the end points of the arcs.

You still need 2 arcs for a full circle, but one can be adjusted to 359° and then just a small 1° arc between the doors somewhere.

Or just adjust the nodes so they sit between the doors (so you don't end up with a small arch that may be hard to find).

Or instead of duplicating the door/window, add an empty opening.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution

Thanks for the replies, Barry and DGDketcher.  While those methods work it does add extra steps to reconfigure the wall and there still might be an issue withdoor/element placement. It seems that these methods are the only solutions at this time. As a mechanical CAD designer I find it odd that AC can't handle a full circle wall as a single element like the various MCAD softwares like the one I use. Maybe somebody could explain it to me some day.

Thanks and regards

Learn and get certified!