BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3DS File Import in to Archicad 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having issues with importing a purchased 3DS file into Archicad 10. Every time I try to bring in the file, I get the "Bug Report" window and AC 10 shuts down.

It seems to be when it is trying to import the meshes from the 3DS file. I am on a Mac using 10.3.9, any ideas what I could do to be able to import the file? Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
We had similar issues here, running AC10 (1183) on Mac OS 10.4.8 machines, even with the 3DS plugin installed. Sometimes, it won't even recognize files as .3DS files to import. Other times, it just crashes.

The issues seem to be:
1. There is no Sketchup plugin for ArchiCAD 10 on the Mac.
2. The 3DS plugin for ArchiCAD 10 (Mac) doesn't work without crashing.
3. Sketchup 6 seems to want to be the Pro version to do import/export very ably.

So--

Our work-around method involves Sketchup and ArchiCAD 9.

1. Import the 3ds model in Sketchup (we are using version 6).
2. Explode it.
3. Edit/groom if needed.
4. Save as a skp file (Must be saved down as skp version 3, 4 or 5, not 6)
5. Open the skp file in Archicad 9. The Sketchup->AC9 plugin can be downloaded from http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/solutions/sketchup.html
6. Save as a .pln file.
7. Open the file in Archicad 10.

Then it seems to work.

We just completed some 3D models of ductwork for a repetitive set of dorms for a university project. Found a couple of trouble spots already, saved ourselves probably a day of hold-ups on the site. Well worth it if your project has repeats, but a lot of work for a one-off deal.

Andrew
Learn and get certified!