Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3d DWG Import changed in V25 ?????

gdford
Advisor

It appears that V25 has lost the ability to import 3D dwg files.

When I compare the translators between v23 and v25 all of the translators seem to have lost the ability to import 3D dwg files....

Can anyone explain to me what is going on with this?

Is there a work around?

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
8 REPLIES 8
gdford
Advisor

Geez - I figured it out.

Either the translator default settings have changed or maybe I modified the translator settings in V23 to allow for 3D import - I don't remember, but in the v25 default translators when you drill down to the options you can setup the translator to import 3d DWGs...

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Eduardo Rolon

Have not checked but IIRC didn't you have to "import" the DWG in the 3D Window for it to be a 3D or you use "Open Object" under File-> Libraries and Objects.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

when did that happen? I had thought the only way to deal with 3D DWG was to import them as a library object.

Learn something new every day.  

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
4dProof
Advisor

I just imported a 3d DWG on wednesday using the file > merge function. There is a checkbox to import as gsm object, which is what I use it for the most... never tried to import a full building/rpoject from 3d dwg

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
Tim Ball
Expert

Wouldn’t it be nicer if the import function recognised the file type and offered all the options available.

A single easy to use import function for every type of file it’s possible to import.

Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5

Yes - the checkbox is correct. Imported 3D dwg is converted into a library object. the US translators by default are set to 2D import only. There is more overhead to converted dwg 3D elements than with converted IFC 3D elements, but the quality of the gsm converted dwg objects is better. Does anyone know if there is a good converter that will convert any 3D filetype to GSM?

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

Archicad natively imports quite a few, like IFC, 3DS, SKP, etc.  The Revit plugin available from Graphisoft adds RVT and RFA.  If you want more, plus the ability to fine-tune the detail and leave out extraneous information, try the ModelPort plugin from ArchVista. https://day8.hu/modelport/ or https://archvista.com/modelport-download/

It opens the file in a separate application, so you can isolate individual elements and change import settings.  Takes. a little effort to get used to the utilitarian interface, but it adds FBX and DDAE formats, and improves several others.  You can then either save bit as regular GDL, or as a hybrid format that is much smaller, but will only run on computers with ModelPort installed.

Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
gdford
Advisor

Thanks Da3dalus

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000