Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3d dxf to AC 3d

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anybody had experience with this?? all I seem to get when I open the file is a 2d drawing
The product I am saving from is 'Hulls'

thanks
RSA
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
This is a frequently-asked-question.

Opening or merging a DXF or DWG will only bring 2D information into the project.

To bring the 3D information in, you open the DXF (or DWG) as an object: File menu, GDL Objects, Open Object.... With 'all GDL objects' as the 'type', you'll see the dxf/dwg files (or you can filter for just dxf/dwg).

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl - that looks amazingly simple - I'll give it a try

thanks
RSA
Anonymous
Not applicable
Haven't played with this, but from the sounds of it, this will bring the 3D dwg file in as only an object. Shouldn't there be a way to import this information directly into AC as I presume SketchUp is imported. In other words, import it so that it can be manipulated as walls 'n slabs 'n stuff, more so than just an object.

This make any sense to anybody?
Karl Ottenstein
Sergio wrote:
Haven't played with this, but from the sounds of it, this will bring the 3D dwg file in as only an object. Shouldn't there be a way to import this information directly into AC as I presume SketchUp is imported. In other words, import it so that it can be manipulated as walls 'n slabs 'n stuff, more so than just an object.

This make any sense to anybody?
Makes sense, but it is not possible. The import is a monolithic object.

But, if you have SketchUp, sure, import the dwg there, manipulate it, assign materials, and then save it as 3DS ... then import the 3DS into AC as an object with smoothing enabled.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
But, if you have SketchUp, sure, import the dwg there, manipulate it, assign materials, and then save it as 3DS ... then import the 3DS into AC as an object with smoothing enabled.
Even better, open it in ArchiCAD using the plugin.

Or, if you save it as a Component in Sketchup, it will come across as a library part again ... which is where we started from
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen