Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3d views as DXF

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to save a 3d view in archicad as a DXF file?...pretty much taking the 3d view and turning it into a line drawing.

Anyone have any idea how i could do this?

(just realised this is in the wrong section could a mod move it please?)
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
Use the 3D document tool to "grab" the 3D Window and "publish" or "save as" as dxf. Or you can copy from the 3d window paste it on a detail and publish from there.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im using Archicad 11, so i dont have access to the 3d document tool,

Could you explain in a bit more detail how i can copy from the 3d window and paste it into a detail sheet?.....i can see how this would work but im having problems getting it from the 3d window to the detail sheet.
Eduardo Rolon
select all (command+A) in 3D Window
copy (command+C)
paste (command+V) in a new detail window
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
jny:

The most direct way is to go to the 3D Window (it would be set to Hidden Line Mode) and do a Save As..., and select DXF File from the Format pop up list. If you want to edit the image inside ArchiCAD, you could use the flat marquee to select the contents of the 3D Window, copy, then paste the contents into an empty Worksheet, the contents will be pasted as lines. Ther are variations on these options, depending on which version of ArchiCAD you are using.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok ill try that, cheers....

i tried that david, still having a few problems,

firstly i wasnt able to select the hidden line mode in the 3d window.

then when i copied from the 3d window into the worksheet it keeps coming in as an image file rather than just lines.

any ideas?
Eduardo Rolon
Change the 3D engine
View > 3D View > Internal 3D Engine

Then choose Hidden Line from the same place
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok i got it working, cheers for your help.

the problem i had was that i was using the open gl engine rather than the internal engine when viewing my 3d model.

its working great, you just made this program even better.
Djordje
Ace
If you had ArchiCAD 12, you could have set up 3DD (3D Drawing) and publish them to DXF (or DWG ...). Annotation, section hatching, dimensioning in 3D, shadows, material hatching, transparency ... like the Internal engine, only better!

You can also take the Internal view into a Worksheet as already advised (copy from the 3D window with the flat marquee) if you need the annotation and further editing. Then, the Worksheet views can be placed on the sheets of your layout books.

Then publish to DXF, or whatever else you need.

Make sure to automate the process as much as possible - save the 3D views, that you copy from, save the Worksheet views, place them on layouts, set up Publishing sets ... yes, sounds like a lot of work, but you do it once - and then, it works for you.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen