BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

3ds import in archicad 9?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive been looking on this forum for mention of this feature as it was a really useful plugin for archicad 8. Is there one for version 9? I know there is DXF import but that loses any phong shading and shows all the facets of curved objects. Have I missed something? Hope some cleaver person can write one
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am also looking for such a plugin.
However the thing i seem to miss the most is the OBJ wavefront import file.
In Archicad 7, you could import a obj file. It was great. no triangles, no facettes.. it was all smooth. it worked great as it perfectly came in the right position and the rotation was done automatically. it was so simple. since archicad 8, this feature has gone ! WHY ????? we had to go through the 3ds import plug in (which was only available in german by the way). i am still having troubles with this format :
- in the 3ds file format, there is a limitation on the polygon count (something like 32 000 faces). that was not the case with obj wavefront !
- the objects are still not totally smooth and a few triangles appear on the object (in section and 3d view). nothing of that with obj wavefront !
- the 2d script is created which creates too many hassles. you need to delete the whole 2d script in order to draw your own symbol in the 2d symbol window....

My great request would be the return of the object wavefront import format.
I can t believe people import their models from 3dsmax or maya (or something else) with DXF. it such a mess with curved forms. and to my knowledge, dxf doesn t import materials... which was the only weakness of the obj wavefront import file type in archicad as it didn t reckonised different materials.

Please someone re-compile the obj wavefront plugin for archicad 8, 8.1 and 9 for mac and pc.

thank you
Paul
Karl Ottenstein
Look in your Goodies Folder... the 3DStudio In addon and help file are there, included as part of 9.0.

Stefan pointed this out a while back...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the 3ds import info. Seems to work ok for basic stuff but some detailed objects it falls down on. Serves a purpose though as i work with Cinema 4D, so i create custom objects in cinema, import them into Archicad so I can place them and use their 2d info to draw my own 2d symbals for them - otherwise you get a heap of mesh. when I bring the file into cinema for final renderings i just replace the imported objects with the original cinema ones. This isn't perfect - esp when there is a lot to replace, but seems to work ok.

Yes please bring back obj. format - its definitely better than 3ds.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/importsolids.html

Found this while trying to import a 3DS context file into our archicad model. I can see that the plugin is there and loaded from my goodies folder, but how do I access it, or where do I import the object from?

The option to merge a 3ds is not available, and 'load library object' only seems to 'see' dxf or dwg....

If there is a 3Ds plugin, what is the workflow to import a 3ds file, please, anyone??

Thanks

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Dwight
Newcomer
Move "3D Studio In" Add on to Add on folder.

Should give you menu options that are easy enough....

destination folder
orientation options.....
Fries with that? option, etc.

Have a 3Ds object - watch out for mystefying and infuriating Y=Z issues on import orientation
Dwight Atkinson
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Thanks Dwight.

I didn't look under extras, for some reason I expected to see it under tools or even in the library object import dialogue...

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Dwight
Newcomer
There you go.

The gratultous posting of the day award goes to…
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!