Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

AC 20 to AC 21 : Where is IFC Scheme Setup?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello -

Looking high/low for where the IFC Scheme Setup went to from AC 20 to AC 21, with no success.

Any help would be appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is the answer to the original question of where is the IFC Scheme Setup Dialog.
So this Dialog in not available from the menu any more.
You have to go to the IFC Translators Dialog. In the Dialog, select a Translator for Export on the list on the left. Then click the "..." button of the Property Mapping field, and in the upcoming Dialog click the "Map IFC Properties for Export" button.
It will take you to the Dialog previously known as the IFC Scheme Setup Dialog where you can create new custom IFC Properties and mapping rules to any IFC Properties.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Eduardo Rolon
File -> Interoperability ->IFC
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, that shows up in AC20, but looking for its location in AC21. Did it change names? Posting screenshot for clarification.
IFCSCHEME.jpg
Eduardo Rolon
In 21 they changed the way IFC works and most of the stuff is done now using Property Manager (which existed under 20( and/or Classification Manager (under Options) with this configured then you map out the way you want to translate them. The concept according to GS is that now we have a "native" system for speed and other goodies and then we "export out" to IFC like saving a PDF or DWG. In this way we don't bog down the AC File.
The problem is that this new system breaks down our AC20 and previous workflows. Look in page 86 of the AC21 Help Guide or in Help Center for the new stuff.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

daviddelven
Advocate
Hello Eduardo,

Downstreaming your answer, what about COBie 2.4 MVD ? When you apply it after creating a Custom Translator in order to get an IFC Scheme suitable to COBie , the only two available schemes are the default 2x3 and 4.

What's new on this workflow ?
David Delgado Vendrell

http://www.daviddelgado.cat
i7-7820HK CPU 2,90GHz 32GB RAM
Triple Monitor 17"+25"+32" Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
SSD+HDD, Win10 Home - 64 ENG
AC18-AC26 INT/SPA (64-bit, latest build)
Surfing with Archicad since 2013
stefan
Expert
There is a difference between the scheme (Ifc2x3 and IFC4) and the MVD (Coordination View, Design Transfer View, COBie ...).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
If it's all supposedly handled in the Properties and Classification Manager in AC21, how are IFC Properties linked to non-Property Parameters in each Element?

For example, when I export IFC to Revit, the recipients don't receive any Building Material information, or the name of the Composite, of a Wall. I'm using the "Revit Export for Reference Model" exporter into Revit 2018.1. Unless I'm going crazy, this was never a problem before; those things used to be mapped to IFC data. Now I don't see any way to see or adjust the data mapping. Something is terribly wrong, since it seems the IFC transfer is actually WORSE than it used to be, and LESS "Information" is getting through. It's critical that my Structural Engineer knows if he's looking at a masonry or frame wall.

This back and forth is leading to a lot of late nights, and honestly, the documentation for IFC setup could be written better. It was obviously devised by Database Programmers, and needs to be translated into Architect-ese. I'm sure the answer is in there, but I can't find it!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
stefan
Expert
Just a shot in the dark, but in Ifc2x3, there is only little material information. Much more with IFC4.

Did you check your model in an IFC viewer before sharing, to rule out the chance that the information is in the IFC but Revit does not use it. There are things which can go wrong at both sides of the transfer.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
After some experimentation, we found that the "General Export" and "Revit Structure" translators work best. Materials come through correctly now.

Previously, in AC19-20, we found the General translator was never very good, and "Reference Model Export to Revit" (now "Revit Export for Reference Model") gave us the best set of information, including composites. The tables must have turned. Reference Model is now all about geometry, and has stripped much of the information.

Oddly enough, when the Reference Model is opened in Solibri SMV, the composite names and materials are clearly visible. It says each material is 0" thick, which has been addressed on ArchiCAD Talk, but the point is they are in there. They just don't make it into Revit (even using the GS Improved Import).

I'm still not using IFC4 out of fear that Revit can't handle it. Maybe once all of my projects have been updated to the latest AC21 Classifications (note to GS: why couldn't they Migrate into the new Scheme when an older file is opened? AT LEAST assign elements automatically by Tool!).

I still need to do some experimentation to see if the General translator plays nice with advanced geometry like Complex Profiles and SEO's. But for now, that's our choice.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
hello there

please help me out!

we migrated a v20 file in 21 and everything is now IFCBuildingElementProxy. Is it possible to remap IFC properties back to their place? I imagine it's not gonna be automatic but at least I will avoid starting from scratch.

thank you
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11