Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

AC 25 Revit export - properties settings

Sergio Caiazzo
Participant

Hi all, I've always used IFC files in the past to coordinate with consultants but since I've upgraded to Archicad 25 this year I have been exported the model to Revit file. The consultants team are quite happy with the overall results and there are no major issues. The hydraulic engineer is asking me to change the settings of the toilets, sinks, etc. from mechanical equipment to plumbing fixtures. I was wondering if there is a way for me to change these settings or it is something that AC automatically translate when export to Revit. Thanks.

SergioCaiazzo_0-1646621685132.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

When you save as Revit file (*.RVT) and in the Save Dialog, go to the Options Dialog, you will see that it says: 

"Note: Element Type will map to Categories."

So as I see it, in its current implementation, the Revit export does not offer too many export options like an IFC Translator does. Since these elements are placed with the "Equipment" tool I assume they become Mechanical Equipment Category objects in Revit.

I would still take a chance with IFC Export because during IFC export you can map Archicad element classifications to IFC Types and that may help you achieve the desired Categories in Revit.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

When you save as Revit file (*.RVT) and in the Save Dialog, go to the Options Dialog, you will see that it says: 

"Note: Element Type will map to Categories."

So as I see it, in its current implementation, the Revit export does not offer too many export options like an IFC Translator does. Since these elements are placed with the "Equipment" tool I assume they become Mechanical Equipment Category objects in Revit.

I would still take a chance with IFC Export because during IFC export you can map Archicad element classifications to IFC Types and that may help you achieve the desired Categories in Revit.

LFBIMMAN
Booster

Hi Sergio, 

better late than never....   just expanding on laszlo's awnser. 

so with IFC files from archicad I found it easier to open up the file in Revit & change the category type of the objects that come out on the wrong categories. However when you export to RVT from Archicad you lose that functionality. My understanding is that the mapping from Archicad is based on the subtype of the object. if you click on the object and press ctrl + Shift + O you will open the object and be able to see what subtype it is.... this is why toilets & sinks come through as mechanical equipment.  you will be able to change the sub-type of custom objects but I seem to remember the archicad native objects may be password protected :(. 

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

I don't think Archicad default library parts are password-protected. It is that they are located inside of an LCF (Library Container File) so you can only save a copy of them and modify that. To modify a library part within the LCF, you need to extract the LCF to a folder, and then link that folder to the Project as a Library instead of the LCF.

However, I do not know if changing the subtype of default Archicad library parts would work because they have a lot of parameters, and if you change their subtype, their parameter set would change, many of the functions they perform will not work because those parameters are not available and not specified anymore.