Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AC Label to Autocad Leader DWG Conversion Problem

MSotero
Participant
The attached image illustrates the result of converting AC11 files to Autocad 2007 DWG files.
The situation stems from using the ArchiCAD "Label" tool and converting to Autocad "Leaders" in the DWG xml conversion setup.

The font used is Arial for both softwares (not an autocad shx font).
The top image being ArchiCAD and the lower image the result in Autocad.

The text "Plywood SSD" generates an undesired text "wrap." Yet the text block itself is the same length as in archicad. So it as if the letter spacing is extended or something.

The text "Wood siding over 2 layers of bldg paper" also creates an undesired text wrap but also stacks the text on top of itself in the process. This text does have a "return" within the archicad text between the words "layers" and "Bldg" (it is not an automatic return created by the text block length itself).

We've tried numerous things to overcome this type of thing but can't find a way. We've even created a direct text to text conversion to ensure that Arial becomes Arial.

Any help appreciated!
Even knowing if this is simply a bug of some sort?

LabelTrouble.jpg
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't help you, but I'm experiencing a similar problem. I'm also informed that the AutoCAD leader type that results from the translation process behaves like an AutoCAD leader from an older version of AutoCAD, specifically 2004. The behavior differs when the leader text is moved in AutoCAD. An additional point is added to the leader string as opposed to relocating the direction or angle the leader points. Also off in the process, multi-line text labels are translated to AutoCAD with a line spacing somewhere close to .5, the lines of text actually overlap each other in the resulting file - I am, however, substituting an AutoCAD font for the original.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We had the same problem here but short of manually resizing AutoCAD leaders we didnt find any other way of correcting the problem.

Good luck
GOBA
Booster
Hello, this is a very old post. I am not sure if I should write here, or I should write a new one, but I am also having trouble with DWG leaders an ArchiCAD labels.

I have this label in ArchiCAD:

I can export it into leader in DWG, or into text and lines, using this:

If it’s exported as a leader, there is a new style generated in DWG, but the underline is missing, so I should modify it:

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Furthermore, there is a font-style conversion in the DWG translator, but I have not seen any conversion for labels and dimensioning. Is there any?

In the other way around, I have a similar problem. If I place a external drawing in ArchiCAD, the DWG leader doesn’t have the underline:

Is this normal?
ArchiCAD user since November 2109
AC24, Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
GOBA wrote:
Hello, this is a very old post. I am not sure if I should write here, or I should write a new one, but I am also having trouble with DWG leaders an ArchiCAD labels.

I have this label in ArchiCAD:

I can export it into leader in DWG, or into text and lines, using this:

If it’s exported as a leader, there is a new style generated in DWG, but the underline is missing, so I should modify it:

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Furthermore, there is a font-style conversion in the DWG translator, but I have not seen any conversion for labels and dimensioning. Is there any?

In the other way around, I have a similar problem. If I place a external drawing in ArchiCAD, the DWG leader doesn’t have the underline:

Is this normal?
Hi,

Thank you for posting this issue here, and I'm sorry about this experience!

I will have our Technical Support team take a look at this.
It seems to be a defect with the software though, but nevertheless, I will reach out to you again here once we conclude the investigation.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

GOBA
Booster
Hi,

Thank you very much.

I have found another issue, that can be solved from Autocad, but I am sharing it here, because maybe it can be useful for other users. I don’t know if there is a way to solve it in Archicad.

In the next image, there is a multiple line text in Autocad. In the one of the left, the box is bigger than the text. And in the one of the right, the box is adjusted to the text:

And this is how it is seen in Archicad:

So, in order to see it correctly in Archicad, the box of the text in Autocad must be adjusted to the text. If it's bigger, the text expands.

And, Archicad doesn’t keep the width defined in Autocad:

Regards,

GOBA
AC24, Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi GOBA,

We have found out what is causing the issue. It turned out to be a known issue in ARCHICAD. If the Convert Labels to Leaders option is turned on among the Translator settings, the horizontal part of the Pointer lines can be mirrored, and based on the Drawing Unit setting, the other parts of the line can be mirrored too. This has caused the underline to be missing during export.

Therefore, in order to avoid this, the workaround is to turn it off. Although the labels will not be converted to leaders in AutoCAD, it will keep the same look of the label in the result DWG!

And thank you very much for your suggestion on the second issue about text box, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to replicate it. Is it possible for you to send me a sample DWG file so that I can see which setting is causing this issue? Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

GOBA
Booster
mnguyen wrote:
Therefore, in order to avoid this, the workaround is to turn it off. Although the labels will not be converted to leaders in AutoCAD, it will keep the same look of the label in the result DWG!
Hi Minh!

That "solves" the ArchiCAD into DWG exportation. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's the best solution, but ok

And, is it possible to place an external drawing and see it correctly? Because the way DWG into ArchiCAD, I haven't been able to do it.
mnguyen wrote:
And thank you very much for your suggestion on the second issue about text box, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to replicate it. Is it possible for you to send me a sample DWG file so that I can see which setting is causing this issue? Thank you very much!
You can download a sample here:
https://we.tl/t-YEKRLttECR

If there is anything else you need, or any explanation, please, don’t hesitate to ask.

Regards,

GOBA
AC24, Windows 10
GOBA
Booster
Hi @mnguyen!

Did you manage to see the issue in the sample?

Regards,

GOBA
AC24, Windows 10
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi GOBA,

I’m very sorry that somehow I forgot to “Subscribe” to this thread, and it slipped my mind! Since the link is expired already, would you mind sharing the file once again (via PM or with a transfer site, or if you need I can send you a link to drop the file to)? I’m very sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you very much for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT