Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AC16 - scheduling the new smarter objects

Scott Bulmer
Booster
Greetings,

I formerly could make either a legend or schedule of electrical symbols in a project using a Schedule. In AC16 we now have new smarter parts which basically consolidate several parts into one controlled by parameters.

For instance, we now have Switch US 16 that has a parameter Text On Symbol where you would enter 3 for a three way switch or leave it blank for a single pole. The same holds true for part Outlet 1 US 16 where it could be either a receptacle, phone or cable as well as modified with text, all with different graphic representations. Note that in the old days as an example, we would have a weatherproof receptacle with WP which was a different part individually scheduled from a phone jack. Now they are the same part.

Given these new consolidated parts, how can they be individually scheduled including their different graphic representations?

Thanks, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
You will need to schedule them based on the object parameter that gives them there separate identity rather than the object name.

So your schedule criteria will still be looking for the objects in electrical layer or objects with specific names.
But in the fields for output you will need to add an additional parameter for the type of object. Don't forget to include the 2D symbol view as well as the other info you want to schedule.

I have only one library object that does all lights, power points, switches, data points, security sensors, etc., and by scheduling the parameter for the item type I get exactly the legend of electrical components that I need.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Hey Barry,

My mistake. Those parameters were not included in the default available parameters in the Scheme Settings. As you explained, I had to Add Additional Object Parameters to locate the additional filters for those specific objects. BTW, what is the uni-object you mention? Electrigon?

Thanks so much for your reply, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Barry Kelly
Scott wrote:
BTW, what is the uni-object you mention? Electrigon?
No, it is my own custom made object to suit our specific company needs.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Barry et al -

FYI - Scott asked this question in conjunction with the work we are doing to upgrade MasterTemplate for ArchiCAD 16.

Barry's point is correct, however the technical problem we are running into is that the parameters that determine the unique "variety" of each of the electrical parts aren't standardized.

For example, in the Fan Symbol US 16, there is a parameter "Fan Type" which determines the style or type. Internally, this parameter is designated as "itemType". We can add this parameter to the schedule, and different fan objects will show up in the schedule properly.

However, for Switch US 16, there are at least two parameters that affect the type of element: one is called "Switch Type" (internally "switchType") which can specify rocker or toggle etc., and the other is "Text" (internally "text2D") which can be used for adding a "3" to indicate a 3-pole switch (or other variations).

So even with these two parts alone, we would need to add itemType, switchType and text2D to the schedule in order to have all of these item types be listed properly.

Since there are likely to be other similar "smart" parameters like this, I can't see a general way to make the schedule work in the way it is intended: to list each type of object with a quantity (e.g. 18 standard switches, 6 3-pole switches, etc.).

If anyone has a good idea for how to handle this situation, we'd be very happy to learn a work-around or an elegant solution!

Eric
Barry Kelly
Eric,
You are correct that each separate object needs to be controlled by standardised parameters for a single schedule to work properly.
If they are not controlled by standardised parameters then you have two choices that I see.

One is to create a schedule that includes all of the required parameters - but this will create blank fields next to those objects that the parameters don't relate to, making the schedule quite messy and difficult to read.

The other is to create separtate schedules for each object - at least this way you can list only the information that is relavent for each object.

This is precisely the reason why I have created one object that contains all of the electrical parts that I will want to see in one legend/schedule.
But even this can get a little messy when I want to schedule items such as light wattage that doesn't apply to switches or data points for example.
Fortunately I have built in an option where I can create separate schedules for lighting, power, data and security type objects.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27