Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

AC24 - Hotlinks, Modules, PLNs...for a Large residential project

rob2218
Enthusiast
So..here's the knowns:
1. large 50 home residential project.
2. there are 2 model types...a Model "A" and a Model "B".
3. Both model types will have 3 different exterior elevation designs, therefore a Model 1A, 2A, 3A, and a Model 1B, 2B, and 3B...in essence having 6 different models.
4. they will all (all 6 model types) have the same story to story settings.

So the questions are:
1. Best way to organize the MOD's or the PLNs or hotlinks into a main "Master PLN" file?
2. should I create lowered story settings (say at elevation -100 and -111 and -99 to place the floor plan walls, doors, etc...and then create 'hotlinks' "IN" the actual master file or?
3. should I create 6 separate MOD files, then hotlink them into the main "Master PLN" site file"
4. Also...how do you create a 'Hotlink' of a story that resides INSIDE the same file as the "Master PLN" file?
5. Do I buy a server, use that as a dedicated Teamwork holding computer and login all the users into "that" system?

Just need help/thoughts on this massive organizational puzzle.

thanks,
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
28 REPLIES 28
DGSketcher
Legend
You may find some of the answers you seek at learn.graphisoft.com. You will need to sign in with your GSID, once there go to the catalog and find the e-books section. There is available a Hotlink Management - Workflow guide. The copy I got a while back is quite good at setting out your options for working with Hotlinks.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
rob2218
Enthusiast
THANKS...
In the absense of "time"......I may need a power-user who has a server/Teamwork setup capabilities in their office for me to be able to "rent" space in their server/Teamwork environment so that all the AC24 libraries are in one place.

If I can't find someone...I may have to go out and: a) buy a server, b) set it up with Archicad 24 and the use it as a "Teamwork" only server to upload and download project data.
My client on is on a MAC (hubboy) and right now were are transferring files back and forth via DropBox...but I think the Teamwork/BIMCloud/Server path would be best suited for this task...but hat means me spending pesos.....NOW.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
I have no idea about teamwork, if it will help you or not, as I don't use it.
I guess if you are multiple users working on the same files at the same time it would be essential.
But if only one user is working on a file then there would be no need - sharing via Dropbox should be fine so long as you all know who is doing what.

If this were my project, I would simply save each of the 6 models as their own PLN (not as a MOD).
Then you can hotlink the PLNs into the master site plan (exactly the same as you would for a MOD file).
Having separate files makes saving the 'module' (PLN) easier than if it was all contained in the same file on different storeys (in my opinion anyway).

Make sure all the models and site file are based on the same template so they have the same attributes and storey settings.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Rob, I can’t help you on he teamwork front either, but just to add to Barry’s words of wisdom... I have a feeling Barry has mastered his templates and as such creating consistent drawings from different PLN files shouldn’t be a problem. From my own experience working with an external lead consultant who was prone to be picky about presentation styles etc, things unraveled when trying to maintain a consistent appearance over multiple pln files. I ended up with all of the buildings in a single pln file on the last job. Attribute management can be a nightmare with separate files. The other thing that you may have to manage is purchaser driven changes. Ok you have predicted six variants, but depending on your client you may need to change door, window and possibly even partitions on individual plots. Good luck!
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
rob2218
Enthusiast
So...I'm a bit still fuzzy about the whole hotlinked PLNs thru the net into a master PLN site file.

Meaning....if these 6 distinct PLNs here on my PC follow a certain path if you will, then when they get to the clients MAC via DropBox...then how does those distinct 6 PLN hotlinks know to take a different path/folder structure because for sure my folder structure on a PC will be different than the clients folder structure on a MAC?

Also, when I refer to "client" I mean the lead architect who also works on Archicad 24 but on his MAC.
We have yet to do a Teamwork project together and have only been sharing PLA's back and forth...which that in and of itself is a hassle cause the PLA library is blotted when being uploaded/downloaded from Dropbox.

Not only that, PLAs don't actually save "ALL" the information. It will constantly give me that "Not all information will be saved, do you want to continue" message...when creating the PLA.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
rob2218 wrote:
Meaning....if these 6 distinct PLNs here on my PC follow a certain path if you will, then when they get to the clients MAC via DropBox...then how does those distinct 6 PLN hotlinks know to take a different path/folder structure because for sure my folder structure on a PC will be different than the clients folder structure on a MAC?

With the Hotlink Manager, it is possible to re-link the files to re-establish the file path if it is different.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
rob2218 wrote:
Also, when I refer to "client" I mean the lead architect who also works on Archicad 24 but on his MAC.
We have yet to do a Teamwork project together and have only been sharing PLA's back and forth...which that in and of itself is a hassle cause the PLA library is blotted when being uploaded/downloaded from Dropbox.

Not only that, PLAs don't actually save "ALL" the information. It will constantly give me that "Not all information will be saved, do you want to continue" message...when creating the PLA.

There should be no need for PLA files if you are both using the same library.
If it is the default Graphisoft Library, then you will both have this on your machines.
Possibly with the MAC / PC file paths being different, you may just have to use the Library Manager to find the correct library path.

If you have a custom library, then you either both need a local copy of that library (and make sure you share any changes) or the BIMcloud (teamwork) can take care of it - again I can't help with that as I have never used it.

Any custom objects you make should be stored (by default) in the Embedded Library.
So they will be part of the PLN (basically like an automatic PLA file).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Podolsky
Ace
Guys, to solve hotlinking strategy really helpful to draw a logical scheme how everything connecting. Make several options.
Many unclear areas becoming crystal clear - it works as architectural plan.
rob2218
Enthusiast
So....Barry, basically what I need to then do is:
1) when I send over the PLN of each of the units (6 of them), I then instruct the client to "path out" any libraries we are both using.
2) the AC24 standard library of parts should just load up from his MAC or my PC assuming we are using the same build of AC24?...correct?

If that's the case, then it should be fairly easy to just have the client repath his libraries....then when he sends me back the PLN I repath to my libraries.....is that what I'm hearing?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23