Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

AC24 - Hotlinks, Modules, PLNs...for a Large residential project

rob2218
Enthusiast
So..here's the knowns:
1. large 50 home residential project.
2. there are 2 model types...a Model "A" and a Model "B".
3. Both model types will have 3 different exterior elevation designs, therefore a Model 1A, 2A, 3A, and a Model 1B, 2B, and 3B...in essence having 6 different models.
4. they will all (all 6 model types) have the same story to story settings.

So the questions are:
1. Best way to organize the MOD's or the PLNs or hotlinks into a main "Master PLN" file?
2. should I create lowered story settings (say at elevation -100 and -111 and -99 to place the floor plan walls, doors, etc...and then create 'hotlinks' "IN" the actual master file or?
3. should I create 6 separate MOD files, then hotlink them into the main "Master PLN" site file"
4. Also...how do you create a 'Hotlink' of a story that resides INSIDE the same file as the "Master PLN" file?
5. Do I buy a server, use that as a dedicated Teamwork holding computer and login all the users into "that" system?

Just need help/thoughts on this massive organizational puzzle.

thanks,
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
28 REPLIES 28
mikas
Expert
You are welcome.

Everything works like you would work from your own hard drive. For every team member likewise, it's seamless. And actually you are working from your own hard drive. The cloud is there on the background, syncing files all the time to every team member.

If suddenly your internet disrupts, you would still be working from your own hard drive, like without the cloud service, nothing would change to you. This happens sometimes. DropBox informs you in a discreet way, like a small icon in the menubar (Mac) or in the task bar (Win) about that. But you don't have to stop working. It's just normal local working when you are not connected to the internet. And it's just normal working then you are on internet too. Syncing will happen when your internet is up again.

I understand that DropBox has been used like a file distribution platform only. But it's not only that. Mostly not. It can be used for that too, and after it's your main project folder, you can share links to everyone you want to. I share links to my render folder subfolders all the time to clients. They see the contents of that folder, but not anything else there is. They get e link to see renders with their chosen browser. Or, if they happen to be DropBox users themselves too, they can browse and see those shared files in their desktop environment. Just like they were on C: drive. Or on their Mac HD/SSD. That way there is no need even for a web browser.

Everybody needs to try it by themselves. It's not so easy to explain that. It's great though. I promise you.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Podolsky
Ace
Well, today there is no difference what you use: Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or iCloud. I've been using several of them for file exchange.

Coming back to setting BIM server. I would recommend to use Amazon Elastic Computer Service. They have good infrastructure, stable connection and perfect security systems (firewalls etc.). I had experience using it in the past - and it was good. I checked the price - for 5-15 active users Graphisoft recommends to use 2 cores processor and 4GB RAM - on Amazon it's t3.medium instance. The price - approximately $30 per month (it depends - if you are paying upfront for 3 years, price dropped to $850 per 3 years). Plus they are charging $0.5 per GB of storage. Let say 100 GB will cost $10 per month.
They also might charge additional fees for uploaded / downloaded data, but it wouldn't dramatically increase the price. You also can transfer you web-site on this server if you want.
BIM Cloud has now new feature to store files - like DWG, PDF, various documents - so, probably it's a good deal.

And, why it's called "Elastic" - because you always can increase space and processing power.

Please follow the links below. This is description:
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/
this is price calculator:
https://calculator.aws/#/createCalculator/EC2
mikas
Expert
I need to point out this. File exchange does not equal to file synchonization. I don't know if that's what we were talking about, but that is a different thing. Share one time or Sync all the time, that's the difference I think.

With cloud sync you get everything there ever happens, and almost realtime. With file exchange you get what you are to be served by a user at that one time.

My point: With cloud sync you don't need an additional step, a humanly vulnerable stage in sharing your work.

I do understand that not all of the material is to be seen to everyone. That's a matter of sharing the right folders/hierarchies to participants. You need to think about to whom you share. And what you share to whom. It's not that hard though. You will have your administrator views and all. And you can delete the shares at will. You can kick off the participants at will.

I really do hate the web based project file services. And the local authority ones too, likewise terrible. They all (there seems to be tens of them, all with a different UI) are a nuisance for me. You have to keep in sync, and upload and download all the time. It takes at least a day in s week to keep in sync with all those "services". That is not something I would want to do weekly - to update important data through a web service interface. Up and down that is. Every time you have a change that is appropriate to update to THAT particular website. Terrible, and not something for a human to do.

That's gonna be my rant of it for today, sorry about all of it.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Podolsky
Ace
Well, I might say that if talk about cloud service - not only Dropbox is a great solution. For example exists Egnyte - it's more advanced (and more expensive) cloud service. What is cool in Egnyte that you can preview there IFC, DWG and Revit files online - they using connection to Autodesk online service. The commenting features are more advanced in Egnyte too, I think, but this might not be 100% true, as Dropbox might improved this feature recently.
As about uploading files to servers - not always there is only way to pump files via web-site. In most of the cases exist FTP protocols too - that you can upload directly from your windows explorer of finder (you can do it even in terminal). Just necessary to find out from administrator of this online service details of FTP connections.
rob2218
Enthusiast
humm....DropBox as my "remote Folder" holding storage for my BIM projects huh....hummm....I'll have to mull this over the weekend but I have to come to a decision relatively quickly.

I know as soon as these "SIX" different PLNs get ready to be plopped on a "Master Site PLN"....I'm going to need to be ready for whatever happens which is why I'm trying to do my due deligence "NOW"......

thanks for all the help folks.
I'd really like to do the BIM Cloud setup and Teamwork on server type thing. I did that in Maryland many years ago but have since forgotten how to set the whole thing up again. I know it has changed dramatically too.

Well.....I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide to do with this. My client is basically leaving it up to me (hubboy) to make this file/PLN sharing work....................so I better get right the first time.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Podolsky
Ace
Just to make a quick decision: take Dropbox for now - don't subscribe, use free version. They give you 2GB for free. Start using it. At least for week or two.
And set your BIM Server.
rob2218
Enthusiast
I've had DropBox Pro for quite some time now....just haven't quite been comfortable setting up all my PLN's on there to use on a daily basis.......but perhaps it's time.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
rob2218 wrote:
Besides....Dropbox was and STILL is designed as a "TEMPORARY HOLDING" site where you put a file or folder, upload it and download it and be done with it................NOT as a site to permanently house important architectural 3d complicated database models.
I don't' know where you got this impressions, Rob? What you describe is what Wetransfer is. Dropbox - like OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud etc is "permanent" cloud storage. It is as permanent as making your payment [if over the "free" amount of space] and the company surviving. Highly unlikely any of the companies will not survive...at worst, they will merge into some other company.

Of all of the cloud storage/sharing options, DropBox has an additional advantage which is that it maintains user-restorable backups of any files deleted in the previous 30 days. So, if you accidentally delete a file, you can easily restore it from their servers. Of course, when any cloud storage is set to sync to your computer, your local backups would have a complete backup of everything as well. If you think of the cloud storage as an EXTRA and external (safe from fire/theft in your office) backup to your local file system / backups ... and one that allows you to share files with anyone (with full control / security) ... then it is a perfect place to keep important files 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
schagemann
Enthusiast

Sorry for being late to the party, but presumably you have since noticed Graphisoft's hosted BIMcloud (SaaS) offering... https://Graphisoft.com/solutions/BIMcloud

macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.