Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AC24 Structural Analytical Model Exchange - Feedback?

Balint Kezer
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear All,

As you are most probably aware, with Archicad 24 we introduced the Structural Analytical Model Exchange workflow.

Now as some time has gone by and you had a chance to try it out, I would be really interested to hear your feedback. Please let me know:
- What do you think about this workflow?
- Do you see any issues with it?
- How would you improve it further?
- What else could a Structural Engineer do with Archicad?

If you would prefer to discuss your findings and ideas via a web meeting instead, feel free to drop me a PM and we will set it up.
Balint Kezer
Senior Product Manager
Graphisoft
16 REPLIES 16
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
LaszloNagy wrote:
Erwin wrote:
Revit architecture and Revit structure are two separate programs for a reason and from what I understand are not really interchangeable either.

Just a note here: as far as I know, for several years now, there is only a single Revit application, which includes all disciplines. There used to be separate apps for different disciplines, but not anymore.
That's interesting since for a structural floor plan you show a slab and the structure that supports it (which is below the slab), where as an architectural floor plan shows the slab and the structure on top of it.

The only way to really achieve this in archicad is stacking views with different layer combinations, since the program is pretty much set up to display things above your floor plan, not below. You can of course show things below with the floor plan range, but you can't easily exclude the things on the actual floor plan.

I would imagine Revit runs in to much the same problems.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Graham Whipple
Enthusiast
We work with structural engineers that are live in the archicad model. There are several such firms out there and we have found this to be an excellent workflow for many years now. I have personally pulled some of these engineers into the archicad world years ago because of the potential for integration.
As for the SAM I don't think they are using those tools in their workflow as their AC workflow predates AC24 and runs a parallel path to the SAM approach while achieving excellent results for our collaborative workflow.
Graham Whipple
Resin Architecture

Idaho USA
shrutiniwas
Contributor

I am not sure if SAM (structural analytical model) can be exported into most of the prevalent structural design and analysis software, other than RISA or SCIA. However, It would make the existence of SAM more useful if it can straight away be (whether in current excel format or any other) exported to/supported by other structural design tools such as: 

• STAAD Pro,
  • ETABS,
  • SAFE,
  • Tekla Structural Design,
  • Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis,
  • SAP2000, etc.

Without having the workflow with the above-mentioned tools, the structural capability projection will remain untapped for the most part

Exactly.

Limiting the structural workflow only to the applications from the same stable is short sighted. All of the above HAVE to be included, if not in SAM, then in predefined IFC export/import.

Speaking of which... is there a soul that has tweaked the IFC translators for ETABS? or STAAD?

Tekla translators work well for export and import... for example, the attached.

R View 11.png
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
jccoyap
Participant

Hello!

As structural consultant, I think SAM is one of the most interesting improvements in Archicad. In fact, I decided to work with Archicad when SAM was implemented.

My reason to use Archicad is exactly what @jl_lt suggested: I use Archicad as a consultant because my clients -architects- use Archicad.  I want a softer workflow with them, using teamwork or pln instead of receiving dwg or physical ifc, because I think structural consultants cannot expect that architects give a IFC SAM or a SAF, structural consultants must do that.

That said, I think there is an important lack in SAM: it does not work with Truss Maker and Roof Maker objects. Or perhaps Truss Maker and Roof Maker should create beams instead of objects. Anyway, Archicad has not solved that issue, roofs and trusses must be made by hand if we want SAM… it is not operational.

About @Erwin Edel question, Revit has a special kind of views for structural plans, in order to solve the matter about watching structural elements over the cut plan. I still do not know how Archicad manages this, as I have started to use it some days ago 😉

Regards,

Coya

@jccoyap wrote:

That said, I think there is an important lack in SAM: it does not work with Truss Maker and Roof Maker objects. Or perhaps Truss Maker and Roof Maker should create beams instead of objects. Anyway, Archicad has not solved that issue, roofs and trusses must be made by hand if we want SAM… it is not operational.

You may be better off modeling your Trusses and Roof structural elements using multi-segment Columns and Beams. Also, each segment of those Columns/Beams can use Parametric Profiles so almost any kind of geometry can now be modeled with them.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Man, this made my day!