Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ACAD LT dwgs won't open, heeeelp

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received AutoCAD LT dwg files, but they won’t open. No conversion dialogs, no questions, error messages, nothing, only blanc empty window resulting. LT files are in 2000 format, we tried also R14, the same.
I tried AC 7.0, 8.1 and PM, open... and merge..., no success.
This has happened several times before and I remember seeing similar questions on this list, but I can’t find them. I have very poor knowledge of AutoCAD and Windows, so what’s going on?
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a suggestion, but make sure to check wether the drawing are done in a model space or paper space and set the Archicad settings to match when opening. Not sure if this is the problem but it is a common thing to check.
Anonymous
Not applicable
tprokop wrote:
make sure to check wether the drawing are done in a model space or paper space and set the Archicad settings to match when opening.
Check where and when? –there are any dwg conversion dialogs, the process comes straight through to a blanc screen. I tried to first "preset" these with an openable dwg, no luck.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, thinking of 6.5 (Just beginning our upgrade to 8.1) when I thought of the check point.

See if this process works - Select to open the DWG and let it open to the blank screen. Select open file and open the drawing again (this time Archicad should ask for a translator. Create a new translator and you will get the options to change the settings under the "Settings in Selected Translator" window. Not sure why you would have to open the second time and deal with the blank screen the first, but it seemed to work for us.
Anonymous
Not applicable
tprokop wrote:
Select to open the DWG and let it open to the blank screen. Select open file and open the drawing again (this time Archicad should ask for a translator.
Sorry to say but this trick didn’t help. It didn't ask anything. I tried with AC 7, 8.1 both open and merge and PM. There must be something rotten in the sending ACAD LT. Strange that other autocadists in the project have not complained.
Thanks anyway!
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have AutoCAD LT 2004 and 14 and have no problem with the translator. Yo can go to the Tools tab and choose DXF-DWG Translator and set everything there. It is important you use the model/paper space option as your needs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the given advice.

So far the urgent situation has eased up. I managed to convert from the PLT file a workable PLN and got through the given task.

One question to AutoCAD experts. When I opened this PLT, Plotmaker gave an error message “unimplemented command was given” (or something like that) “EC”, “IR”, “UL”, “MC”, “AC”. I suppose this means that there is somethig wrong also in the original DWG. Do these awake any ideas, so I could “advise”, hehe, these AutoCAD LT users?
Djordje
Ace
kari wrote:
One question to AutoCAD experts. When I opened this PLT, Plotmaker gave an error message “unimplemented command was given” (or something like that) “EC”, “IR”, “UL”, “MC”, “AC”.
PLT for which plotter? There might be control codes; see the discussion at http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=1519

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
kari wrote:
One question to AutoCAD experts. When I opened this PLT, Plotmaker gave an error message “unimplemented command was given” (or something like that) “EC”, “IR”, “UL”, “MC”, “AC”.
PLT for which plotter? There might be control codes; see the discussion at http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=1519

HTH,
PLT was saved with HP DJ 500 24 –don’t know what the last figure means, but anyway I have no plotter and not to mention error codes for any of them.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Problem solved! -Well actually not at all, but there is a workaround. DXF works!
I just heard that in Budapest it is a well known problem that “some AutoCAD versions” produce DWG which AC cannot open.
GS remained dumb – again. Would it have been so difficult to throw a reply e.g “try DXF”? I know they are reading – their own forum.