BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ARCHICAD IFC export. Wall connection problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all. I have a problem with IFC export, and I need your help. Here is a question:
After exporting IFC some walls have incorrect connection in Solibri Model Viewer. In Model in ARCHICAD 19 everything is OK. Why after exporting with standard export properties we have connection problems of some walls corners?

03.png
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
I don't know if there is another solution to your problem but I see your wall reference lines are on the inside of the walls.
Technically a wall is only as long as its reference line so there is really no wall in the corner.
Archicad automatically fills in the gap so you see a true corner but it seems that this is not being translated in your IFC model (I don't know if there is an option to fix this in the translator maybe?).
Turn "Clean Wall & Beam Intersections" off in Archicad and you will see the same thing.

However if you move the reference lines to the outside of the walls I think you will find it will look better in the IFC model.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Turn "Clean Wall & Beam Intersections" off in Archicad and you will see the same thing.
Barry.
Nice! Your recommendation is true. Now Walls and Beams corners have right connection in Solibri Model Viewer. Thank you!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The IFC format is based on extruded geometry and normally this is how geometries are exported as IFC. A wall is exported as a profile that is extruded along a path.

However, preservation of the exact geometry has always been an important point. This is why there are BREP definition options when exporting IFC.
If you go to the IFC Translation Setup Dialog, go to the Export Options panel and click the Conversion Options button, you will see that you can set the BREP option for various element types, like Elements participating in SEOs, Elements with junctions (like a Wall corner), Slabs with slanted edges, and IFC Site geometry.

Also, if you use the "Coordination View (surface geometry) IFC Model View Definition, everything will be saved as BREP and your exact geometry will be preserved in the exported IFC file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!