Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Any way to share besides TeamWork?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have multiple draftsmen, architects, and interior designers working on a project; the project is to small for everyone to delineate their desired workspace. I'm doing as much work from saved SOLO projects as we can, but as you all know copying and pasting is time wrenching. I feel that everybody here is wasting a large portion of their day Signing, Sending, Changing and all that mess. There must be a more efficient way to handle project sharing...like a sort of update or something. Does anybody have any ideas?
28 REPLIES 28
TomWaltz
Participant
I think we'd need a little more info about the project. how big is it? What kind of work are you copy/pasting? Why are people changing work space so often?
Tom Waltz
Djordje
Ace
Evan,

Please put your OS and Archicad details in your signature.

Describing your setup and basic rules of working on a project would be beneficial. It is possible that you are missing something obvious?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a teamwork plp. file on our network that everyone signs up to by choosing a workspace, I think the reason we have to change workspace so often is because we have to sign up in small areas just to avoid each other. For example, I need to work on 6 different stairs, but the interiors dept. needs the majority of the first floor plan to work on floor finishes. The way we usually handle this is interiors would choose a large area with marquee, and I would jump around the plan choosing the stairs one at a time. Usually we can coordinate to where we can avoid these situations, but occasionally work must be done by multiple people on similar areas. The copying and pasting issue occurs when one person needs to be exclusive for some reason and another teammate can work on a wall section that is in 2d from a saved pln. and later paste it in. We do this as little as possible, but if there was a more efficient way to work on a solo project and update changes into a main plan it would probably become a more standard practice.
These concerns are for a smaller project in our office. In a larger project this isn't as big of an issue because team members are assigned a small building to work on within a giant project, and they generally stick to that one area. Where as this project is a three story building (each floor about 50,000 sf), and all teammates work on all areas. I hope this makes our situation more clear, but I can always elaborate. If you have any advice, well then thank you.
Aussie John
Newcomer
Team work is a nuisance for instance, one pperson cant work on section and another plans as they are using the same elements.

In your instance with the stairs (mostly likely a pain) but you could work on a separate file and insert to the other project as a module, or with teamwork, create some special layers for your team to work with.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
TomWaltz
Participant
I think the easiest solution would be to separate the stairs onto a layer of their own so you could work on them on all stories and not need marquees.

What is the person working on floor finishes using? Slabs? Zones? Either way, it seems like they could use their own layer for it, plus maybe another for any notes they place.

Assuming I'm not too far off, it seems like a couple of new layers in the project could alleviate some of your teamwork issues.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Note that you can sign into a teamwork project with a blank marquee off to the side with all stories and all layers and still add items to the project; even outside your marquee area. You will just not be able to change any existing items within the project. This is good for letting someone work on dimensions, partition types or other markups that just need to add new information.
Also marquee areas can overlap as long as each team member has different layers within their marquee. I have been working this week on the structural column grid while someone else has the wall layers. We will need to coordinate on the column furring, but it seems to be working well.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For small offices it would be better to alow multiple people say max 3 manipulate a file on a server. This is much more productive than the present one.

The big problem in Teamwork is that only by signing in with full acess the layers and layers combination could be modified. This is unacceptable.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Adalbert wrote:
The big problem in Teamwork is that only by signing in with full acess the layers and layers combination could be modified. This is unacceptable.
For a well organized template, I've never found this to be a serious problem. For the few times that the layer combinations to need modifying, I can always open the team leader PLC that resides on the server and make the necessary adjustments. (We keep the team leader always signed in without any portion of the project and a PLC saved on the server so that team members can open this file to make adjustments without having to sign out of their workspace.)
TomWaltz
Participant
Adalbert wrote:
For small offices it would be better to alow multiple people say max 3 manipulate a file on a server. This is much more productive than the present one.

It's also inaccurate. Team Leader can edit layer combinations without "full access"
Tom Waltz