Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Any way to share besides TeamWork?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have multiple draftsmen, architects, and interior designers working on a project; the project is to small for everyone to delineate their desired workspace. I'm doing as much work from saved SOLO projects as we can, but as you all know copying and pasting is time wrenching. I feel that everybody here is wasting a large portion of their day Signing, Sending, Changing and all that mess. There must be a more efficient way to handle project sharing...like a sort of update or something. Does anybody have any ideas?
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe in 10 in 9 one does not add layers without full access.

My point is that the way it works for small offices and project the teamwork is NOT THAT PRODUCTIVE. There is much too much time spent in signing in and out. For (3) people in one room is far from optimal. A server-based solution on a fire wire distributed network and IS THE FUTURE. Obviously today’s teamwork capability will have to be retained as the wide area network solution.

The way it works now for small 50,000 sq ft commercial projects is a waste of time relegating the software to no more that a single user solution with back ups. For larger projects is different but that is that, 90% of the US construction volume is made up of small building around 50,00 sq ft. on small offices. Projects are fast, many times you receive layering form others and have to able to adapted as the project evolve.
TomWaltz
Participant
Adalbert wrote:
Maybe in 10 in 9 one does not add layers without full access.
Yes, you can add layers in both AC9 and 10. If you just want to add a layer to a project, you can even do it as a Team Member. Only revising layer combinations requires Team Leader. That was ture back in AC8.1 as well.

I'm not a huge fan of Teamwork and I think it has HUGE room for improvement, but I've ben using it consistantly and productively for 3 years on projects ranging from 3000 to 150,00 SF.

Like many other tools, efficiency in Teamwork comes from knowing how to use it.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Millard wrote:

For a well organized template, I've never found this to be a serious problem. For the few times that the layer combinations to need modifying, I can always open the team leader PLC that resides on the server and make the necessary adjustments. (We keep the team leader always signed in without any portion of the project and a PLC saved on the server so that team members can open this file to make adjustments without having to sign out of their workspace.)

I guess I'm not exactly sure how this works, but it sounds great...do you just save the plc. on the network,and that subsequently changes the pln. on the network? Does that update it or does that replace it? Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use it efficiently on projects started from scratch where I use my template. But even here is a clumsy way of working.

The problem is when I receive a plan of a building with a different layering system. Then one does not have the time of recreating the project and during the design one must constantly sign out and in to manage the layer combination. All I wanted to point out is that Archicad is not the ideal solution for 3-4 persons attacking a project at once. Somehow the leader should be able to do what it wants with the layers and then force it upon the rest of the members
Anonymous
Not applicable
EVAN wrote:
Millard wrote:

For a well organized template, I've never found this to be a serious problem. For the few times that the layer combinations to need modifying, I can always open the team leader PLC that resides on the server and make the necessary adjustments. (We keep the team leader always signed in without any portion of the project and a PLC saved on the server so that team members can open this file to make adjustments without having to sign out of their workspace.)

I guess I'm not exactly sure how this works, but it sounds great...do you just save the plc. on the network,and that subsequently changes the pln. on the network? Does that update it or does that replace it? Thanks
Right,
I save the TeamLeader PLC to a folder in the project file on the server. The team leader stays signed into the project without any stories, layers, details, sections or layouts. This way if anyone on the project team needs to tweak a layer combination they can open the Team Leader PLC and update the combination and send and receive the changes. It would be best if this was managed by one person, but too many times a change has been needed while this person was out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Millard wrote:

Right,
I save the TeamLeader PLC to a folder in the project file on the server. The team leader stays signed into the project without any stories, layers, details, sections or layouts. This way if anyone on the project team needs to tweak a layer combination they can open the Team Leader PLC and update the combination and send and receive the changes. It would be best if this was managed by one person, but too many times a change has been needed while this person was out.
Wow, you're responding early...thanks. Anywway...this sounds great, but are you able to update more than just layer combinations in the PLC?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not use Hotlinks? Everyone can do their part on the project and everything can be shown on a master file. At the end you just break the hotlinks and you have the whole project on one file...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't really know about hot links, but we do use it on a different project in the office; I'll ask around to see if that is a viable option...thanks for the suggestion.
TomWaltz
Participant
Millard wrote:
I've used a similar approach myself and found that can work pretty well, especially if there is no clear leader among the group.
Tom Waltz
Rakela Raul
Participant
Why not use Hotlinks? Everyone can do their part on the project and everything can be shown on a master file. At the end you just break the hotlinks and you have the whole project on one file...
Tom, can you explain please whats wrong with the above ?
and thx in advance
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16