BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Apply new template to older project

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let me preface this by saying I am a brand new user to Archicad, and am still learning the archicad-specific vocabulary, so I hope my question makes sense.

I've developed a newer, cleaner template for projects I will build in the future, and am now attempting to produce a variation on an older project which was built in the old template. Is there an easy way to apply the new template to this old project, or do I need to copy and paste all the elements into a new project with the new template, bit by bit?
1 REPLY 1
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A template contains all the attributes (layers, linetypes, building materials, surfaces, etc) for the project, as well as general settings (grid display, units, reference levels, etc) and the project structure (viewpoints, views, layouts, publisher sets, etc.)

If you copy/paste, merge, or hotlink module any elements from another project with differing attributes, they will also be merged into the file. This is typically known as attribute pollution and is not a good thing. You end up with extra/multiple attributes making management very difficult. Take a merged layer for example, it will automatically be turned of in all the layer combinations that were present in the template. So you will need to manually go and turn it on in all of them.

Unfortunately there is no simple solution for this. My rule of thumb is to apply the template only to new projects or if absolutely necessary, rebuild the model in the new template using a dwg of the plan as a trace reference.

It's a big topic and have been discussed many times before. Trying doing a search for attribute management.

This may also be helpful, although it is quite advanced.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!