BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD 12 and Windows 7?

ICEdevil
Newcomer
Is there any reason why i shouldn't upgrade my OS from Win XP32 to windows 7?

Are there any compatibility issues?

Thanks
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2 GB DDR, Nvidia geforce 6600GT, Win XP SP2
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is some stuff about this.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows%207

You can actually have Windows XP insided Windows 7 if needed.
A virtual XP is available for the Ultimate edition of the Windows 7. Great for earlier versions in case any problem arises.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Little correction:
The XP mode can be installed in Ultimate and Pro versions of Win7..
and for such Apps like AC XP mode is unusable - due to the virualized S3 trio video card 😉

AC 12 works ok in win7 BTW.
Win7 32 bit is out of a question IMHO - no advantages over XP, only win7 64 bit can be considered as an upgrade

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with Piotr. Upgrade to 64bit.

For compatibility there is also the option of VMware running XP32. Works a charm on the Mac anyway.
ICEdevil
Newcomer
Piotr wrote:
Little correction:
The XP mode can be installed in Ultimate and Pro versions of Win7..
and for such Apps like AC XP mode is unusable - due to the virualized S3 trio video card 😉

AC 12 works ok in win7 BTW.
Win7 32 bit is out of a question IMHO - no advantages over XP, only win7 64 bit can be considered as an upgrade

Best Regards,
Piotr
why is there no advantage in having Win 7 32 over XP 32? I thought the RAM issue has been solved from Vista onward (the fact that XP32 only recognised a maximum of 3.2 gb ram)

my current setup is XP64 and it's being a pain in the butt as it's constantly conflicting with the RAID array...
ArchiCAD 11 build 1210
ArchiCAD 12 Hotfix 3
AMD Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2 GB DDR, Nvidia geforce 6600GT, Win XP SP2
ICEdevil wrote:

why is there no advantage in having Win 7 32 over XP 32? I thought the RAM issue has been solved from Vista onward (the fact that XP32 only recognised a maximum of 3.2 gb ram)

my current setup is XP64 and it's being a pain in the butt as it's constantly conflicting with the RAID array...
No 32 bit OS but server ones (due to programmers trick) can utilize more than 4 GB of RAM. Why use 32 bit OS when the application can take as much as 2 or 3 GB or ram (trick again - "/3" or "/PAE" in XPs boot.ini) - the memeory chips are quite cheap now.

The XP64 was the testing ground for newer OSes (run ver. on XP and XP64 - 64 is different version than 32) - and now probably there are drivers for most hardware nowadays - btw. the win764 or Vista64 might work in XP64 - so. even if sometime ago it was lack of 64bit drivers for XP64 - I think now it is not such problematic.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The memory limitation is inherent in the 32-bit operating system.
2 on the power of 32 is about 4 billion. That is about 4 GB. The is the most so-called memory space that the system can address and store data in.
so no 32-bit operating system will ever be able to overcome that limitation.
In a 64-bit operating system. you can use memory of 2 on the power of 64, which is 4 billion time 4 GB, practically unlimited, as of today.

Edit: OK, Piotr was a bit faster than me in answering this.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!