Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD 14 to SolidWorks for CNC routing of 3d geometry

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have generated 3d geometry in AC14 using a combination of slabs and walls (some with complex profiles applied). The geometry includes curves in plan and in section (via the complex profiles applied to wall elements).

I am looking for a way to cleanly transfer this geometry to a SolidWorks user with the intent that it should be generated as a 3D mold via a CNC router. This mold is then a form for precast concrete panels.

I have saved the 3d geometry out of the 3d window as .dwg, .dxf, .ifc, .3ds and .wrl for my consultant operating on SolidWorks. The consultant has had limited success in opening the various formats for his purposes. .ifc and .dwg seem to be the best method, though with each of them, the curves are segmenting to varying degrees. This is something I would like to avoid if possible, or at least have some control over the number of segments the curves are generating.

I have regenerated the curved elements in plan an section making use of the magic wand tool combined with both wall and slab tools, and have modified the settings associated with the magic wand under the Options menu... to no avail... no difference in the saved result when opened in Autocad for a look.

Here is the question: Has anyone had success in transferring 3d geometry to a CNC router. Through SolidWorks? Finally, is there a way to affect the segmentation of curved (in plan or section) geometry coming out of AC14 via .dwg or .ifc? Any insight would be appreciated. Mb
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
mball wrote:
Finally, is there a way to affect the segmentation of curved (in plan or section) geometry coming out of AC14 via .dwg or .ifc? Any insight would be appreciated. Mb
As far as the magic wand settings are concerned then yes.
You can set the magic wand settings to "Linear" rather than "Best match".
Then you can control the number of segments in the curve to suit your requirements.
Then exporting to DWG or IFC shouldn't be a problem as you no longer have curves at all.

Barry.

P.S. you will need to re-create your already curved elements.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
mball wrote:
the curves are segmenting to varying degrees. This is something I would like to avoid if possible, or at least have some control over the number of segments the curves are generating. Has anyone had success in transferring 3d geometry to a CNC router
I been through a similar process with a customer using OBJECTiVE. They needed to model a handrail following a non-trivial path for export to CNC (see attached image). The key factors in using OBJECTiVE were the tools for precisely fashioning each component, and a setting in each object to control the surface tolerances. The tolerances can be dynamically modified on individual parts to fine-tune the finished result.
Assembly.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch