Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD 16 IFC Openings...

owen
Newcomer
Hi all,

This is being reported to GS through the appropriate means but thought I would post here as a heads up and also to see if others have found the same issue:

Basically export of doors/windows/empty openings to IFC is 'show-stopper' broken (tested in RC1 and b3010 AUS):

Images explaining issues will follow in several posts due to image size limits but in summary:

1. Empty Openings created using the 'Empty Opening' button in the Door/Window settings dialog do not export any opening geometry to IFC (although the entity with location is exported and visible in the tree in Solibri)

2. Empty Openings created using the 'Empty Opening' objects in the AC16 Library (e.g Rectangular Door Opening 16) have extruded geometry extending beyond the thickness of the host wall. This extruded geometry causes problems such as false errors in intersection checking in Solibri (elements in front of the opening clashing with the extruded geometry).

3. Framed Openings created with objects almost have the correct Opening geometry. The Opening hosting a Window 16 object has the correct geometry (i.e = Wall Thickness), however the Opening hosting a Door 16 object is filled on one side with a thin plane so the opening does not extend through the whole wall.

cheers,

owen

120716 AC16 Opening IFC Bugs - AC.jpg
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
9 REPLIES 9
owen
Newcomer
and in Solibri
cheers,

Owen Sharp

owen
Newcomer
Empty Openings using the 'Empty Opening' button in D/W settings dialog exported with no geometry
cheers,

Owen Sharp

owen
Newcomer
Empty Openings using objects from AC16 library ... openings geometry is extruded beyond the host wall thickness
120716 AC16 Opening IFC Bugs - EO with Object.jpg
cheers,

Owen Sharp

owen
Newcomer
and lastly Framed Openings with new basic Door/Window objects from the AC16 library
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

the AC 15 and 16 exports window and door openings to IFC with a geometry that has inner walls. That is causing problems in Solibri. It sometimes leaves a thin layer of wall in the position of opening. Solibri developers are trying to find solution for this. We have also asked GS to create openings that are solids without innerwalls. Hopefully we can publish a patch soon.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Note: This is for fellows that understand IFC format. Opening geometry definition of IFC exported from AC15 is having extra faces. Now it is having 17 faces, only 5 is needed to define extruded triangle. 2 for top and bottom, 2 for sides and 1 for the outer face. At least the inner walls should be removed.
owen
Newcomer
Matti wrote:
..only 5 is needed to define extruded triangle. 2 for top and bottom, 2 for sides and 1 for the outer face. At least the inner walls should be removed.
Is that right?

Yes if a 'pie' shaped geometry is OK however isn't this 'pie' geometry one of the problems .. i.e it only comes to the point of the pie because the geometry extends beyond the boundary of the host wall.

Opening geometry should never extend in any way beyond the geometry of the host element - so a rectangular opening should have 6 faces .. top, bottom, 2 x sides, front and back (latter two aligned with the two wall faces)?
ac15_openings_in_solibri_682 copy.jpg
cheers,

Owen Sharp

owen
Newcomer
Seems to be fixed in AC16 3014 AUS
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I kind of ran into this right now when looking at the smc file from our construction partner. Not fixed in the swedish AC16. Work around time...which is loading AC15 lib and using AC15 empty opening...works like charm...

Solibri rocks btw... Hope more companies actually understand what they see in front of them.
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.