BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

ArchiCAD 17 prompting for authentication to file server

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

We've been having an annoying issue with ArchiCAD 17 for a while now - AC will constantly prompt for other user's username/password when opening some teamwork projects. The username fields are pre-populated with other user's username, entering my own username and password works, but checking the keychain checkbox doesn't work so this comes up every time the project is re-opened.

The prompt can also be canceled with no error message, but I'm not sure what the side-effects of that might be.

Anyone else seen this kind of behaviour and if so, have you find a way to solve it?
16 REPLIES 16
Ed_Brown
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Is your work environment using network home folders for clients?

This sounds like a mount point was needed by ArchiCAD to view a file and it submitted a request to the mac operating system for this mount point. The OS had noted who last opened that mount point and pre-filled the dialog.

If I understand your issue correctly the dialog that is popping up is a Mac dialogue.
Graphisoft Technical Support
Stuart Smith
Booster
We are having the same issue. It is EXTREMELY irritating!

It happens anytime someone places an external drawing, like a .pdf, .dwg, and also with hotlinked modules.

With external drawings, the message goes away if we break the link and embed them. With the hotlinked modules that is obviuosly not an option.

Our Work Environments all use the recommended local cache folders.

Our file server is SMB, could it be related to that?
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ed wrote:
Is your work environment using network home folders for clients?
Nope, home folders are all local to each workstation.
Ed wrote:
This sounds like a mount point was needed by ArchiCAD to view a file and it submitted a request to the mac operating system for this mount point. The OS had noted who last opened that mount point and pre-filled the dialog.
Sounds logical except how would the OS of the local machine know what username was usesd to mount a share on another workstation? This information must be coming from ArchiCAD somehow. Furthermore, the share is already mounted and all references should work fine, as simple absolute paths. Shouldn't AC just refer to all linked drawings using the mounted path (/Volumes/XXX)?
Ed wrote:
If I understand your issue correctly the dialog that is popping up is a Mac dialogue.
Correct.

This happens with both 10.8 and 10.9 clients, regardless of what protocol we use to connect to the server (SMB or AFP).
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is still very much an issue for us. It seems that simply canceling the prompts is not a good idea since some external references don't show up correctly then.

We always use absolute paths for external references, the paths that AC is trying to access are available, everything looks OK, but still AC says the references are unavailable and tries to connect to the server as a different user.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This issue seems more prevalent with clients running OS X 10.9.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have this same issue. Every person in the office, once they've launched ArchiCAD, gets connected to the File Server as Meghan.

Even in Excel or other unrelated programs! Only happens once ArchiCAD has launched.

My guess is it's related to how the library files were uploaded. Would love a solution!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
BarbaraA,
Just to get the obvious out of the way:
Do you have the latest hotfix installed?
Which version by the way?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
BarbaraA,
Just to get the obvious out of the way:
Do you have the latest hotfix installed?
Which version by the way?
For us this this is ArchiCAD 17 hotfix 6004. I will be installing hotfix 8000 tomorrow night, will try after that although I doubt it will help since I didn't notice any mention of this issue in the release notes.

These authentication dialogs can also pop up randomly while a project is open, not only while opening it. Sometimes they will show up while drawing which can be really distracting. I'm guessing this is why BarbaraA is seeing this while in Excel.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lazlo,

We are at hotfix 8000 for AC 17.

Kyla Kuhnlein suggested that our libraries aren't properly configured and that we shouldn't open the BIM manager from any machine other than the BIM server itself, so we are working with our IT team to make these changes.

We are running Mavericks 10.9.5, and the BIM server is on Windows as a virtual server. Not sure what version.

Any other suggestions or information you need?
Learn and get certified!