Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD IFC Exports Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello fellow users.
We are having an issue with few of our files where the IFC we export take very long time for Revit Users to open and the elements within it come in as 'in place elements' rather than manipulable slabs, roofs, walls, etc.
When I say long time, I mean that a 2.5Mb file takes about 15 minutes and a 25Mb file takes about 1 hour to open.
During some in-house test we noticed that the opening process slows down significantly when a window saying 'Creating Schedulable IFC Parameters' appear.
To give you a bit of background, at inception of our file creation, we received 3D IFC files from our surveyor whom 3D scanned the buildings, then with Revit converted their Point-Cloud file and exported and IFC for us to use.
Needless to say we could not use their file rather than for tracing and ended up re-modelling them all. That phase was very rushed and IFC files were imported into ArchiCAD without them been cleaned from their attributes first.
Currently we have no IFC elements in our ArchiCAD files, they have all been removed and IFC properties been deleted (As far as we can see within 'Manage IFC Properties' for the different elements), but our exports still have the same issues mentioned above.
as test, we have also opened a fresh new AC file, set the storeys and copied-pasted the main bones of the building: (walls,slabs,roofs,beams,columns) from the original file to the new. Result: same same: long time to open, elements not fully editable at the Revit end.
Has anyone had a similar issue and/or have any suggestion we can try to unravel this issue?
The buildings involved are 12, very complicated buildings very big. Having to re-model them from scratch in a fresh file it's unthinkable at this point in time.
Appreciate your time and any hint or clue you may suggest.
Claudio
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
I have no experience with IFC exports but has it got anything to do with the Geometry Conversion Options set in the IFC translator you are using?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Barry.

We have tried with two options as per attached screenshots.
Didn't make a difference on the aspects we have issues with.

I don't seem to be able to attach 2 pictures.
I've attached the Project Geometry Settings. The General Translator is visible for everyone and has the BREP ticked off.
QW Geometries.PNG