Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

ArchiCAD Template and Library - free download

Podolsky
Ace
Hi there!
I have decided to give a link to the template and library I have developed for projects I've been working on.
Feel free to download and review. Any comments are welcomed.
The Template was developed for UK. I used British standards: BS 8541-2:2011 and BS EN ISO 19650-2:2018
I though that Graphisoft UK might be interested (in time when I stared they had very weak template), but somehow they are too much ignorant about private developments.
GDL codes are password protected. I haven't considered yet to open the source. I also implemented library protection by connecting it to ArchiCAD licence number. Originally was idea that workers wouldn't take a library from the office and use it somewhere else. Currently I set, that library will work until September this year in any computer. But if someone want to use it in their practise - please write me, I can connect the library to your ArchiCAD license.
Also included Manual, that explains basics of the template.
This development is something that I didn't finish to develop and have to continue. I just stack in the middle because of health problems - I've got a disability.
If there are people who want to help me to continue this development - I would be more than happy.

Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pchebzqlv3qdwa5/AAB4CpKzRHzztFcPObHzuH4ja?dl=0
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Podolsky
Ace

Hi there. I have been asked about how to unlock current library or purchase a full licence. I have stopped to sell licences and in general discontinued work on this library. Everyone who still interested to use this template and library - instruction how to remove licence protection: first extract LCF file (library container file). After extraction search for folder Macros. In this folder there is a file called LICENSE. Open this library part file using password neilsmith. Change Master Script to the line _licence=1

Save change to the file. After modification done - pack everything back to LCF.

View solution in original post

57 REPLIES 57
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Podolsky,
Thanks for your generous offer.
Hope you get well soon.
Cheers,
Podolsky
Ace
I'm not sure. I'm getting better soon already past 10 years (approximately).
But back to subject.
The main point of the library and the template - to extend standard ArchiCAD settings for more professional workflow (i.e. construction documentation). Organise folders and views, make drawings publishing faster. Follow graphical UK CAD standards. Achieve better automation with simple GDL tools. It's been developed for UK because I live here. But can be adopted for another countries standards too. For example I used the same template (with modifications of course) in Israel - with Hebrew language support - also was good.
Important part of the template and library - to control as much parameters as possible via MVO - for example all custom labels and markers sizes are connected to MVO (as well pens), as well font. For example it's possible instantly change the font in all markers in the project.
There is quite cool and simple tool for scheduling by using old listing feature (ArchiCAD feature that is hidden now by default). There is built-in simple database - where user can enter description of the product and photo - after program automatically matches elements in the project by ID and generates nice looking schedule. So it can be anything - library parts, morphs... - it detects elements only by ID. This tool actually use technique when GDL script generates another GDL script.
I also introduced 5 levels of details (how it suppose to be by international BIM standards).
Quite nice parts for MEP - drainage, ventilation and electrical sockets. It uses real product, that after generates detailed schedules of parts for procurement (with codes from manufacturer catalogue).
All these features have been tested on running project in Design and Build company. We built a house in the Centre of London - and it was really helpful for construction. The quality of BIMx models was really high and builders used iPads on site.
I hope this work can be useful for many architects, who wants to achieve high quality BIM models and construction documentation.
The only weak point of it - libraries been developed for needs of running project and do not cover everything. After taking some break I have to continue to improve amount and quality of the library parts.

I hope to receive more support and response for this forum, as currently in London is total silence.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Podolsky

Thank you for your great offer! The amount of work that has gone into this must have been huge.
I already have my own template (from Belgium) , but I would be glad to use and integrate some of your work if that is ok with you. I would have to dive a little deeper in yours.

Thanks!
Peter
Podolsky
Ace
Hi Peter,

Everyone is welcomed to use this template (or part of it) - as they want. Of course currently I'm not opening GDL source to anyone - I really don't want to find my work somewhere on CG Persia one day, but I don't think that I must carry exclusive copyright to my GDL codes - as ideas are still coming from ArchiCAD as variation on the system.
Anyway - if someone will consider to use my work in their practise - write me PM - I'll give more instructions how to change logo in title blocks, connect to ArchiCAD license and options for further GDL developments. By the way, in library parts interface there is my personal email - so anyone can contact me, even if they don't know this forum.
furtonb
Advisor
Hi Podolsky,

Awesome, it's always nice to have a glimpse of how others work. A first glance remark: the manual won't open in Adobe Acrobat DC properly for me, that's an issue with the Pages export, I think (happened to me previously).

What is the advantage of using the Grid tool over using Morphs for the site boundary? A Morph can be set to be visible on all stories too, and it can be a 3D polyline as well - grids are planar, AFAIK.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
I'll add my thanks to the thanks of all the others.

I was able to open the PDF in Preview.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Podolsky
Ace
Grid can be shown on sections automatically (not always, of course, but...) - so you can get site boundaries lines on sections. This is the only reason why I used grids.
In general - it would be better to have special site boundary tool.
When you are making proper construction documentation trying to follow all national CAD standards - facing to these small limitations of ArchiCAD tools. I just tried to create more advanced system. Another example - brick count tool, that can be placed on top of wall section to show bricks - as temporary solution using GDL programming. Or storey elevation marker with FFL, SSL and FCL. It would be nice to see more professional solution (i.e. built-in ArchiCAD features), solving these problems.

See attached image, showing detailed section 1:10 scale, completely generated from 3D model (the only 2D here - annotation). It shows how I used brick tool and storey elevation markers.
furtonb
Advisor
When you are making proper construction documentation trying to follow all national CAD standards - facing to these small limitations of ArchiCAD tools. I just tried to create more advanced system. Another example - brick count tool, that can be placed on top of wall section to show bricks - as temporary solution using GDL programming.
I created a similar object for the same purpose.
In the CD stage I find using Rhino and GH to generate 0mm thick Morphs to represent the courses (ok, it might seem I use them for everything...) - they can have the Wall ID as part of their ID + the course nr.

Having them in 3D is a good way to coordinate openings and other things to reduce cut waste.
Or storey elevation marker with FFL, SSL and FCL.
I don't understand this - you mean a custom dimension, or how are these linked to the elevation marker? I thought FFL = finished floor level, FCL = finished ceiling level, but what is SSL? Sorry, I'm not familiar with UK acronyms.
When you are making proper construction documentation trying to follow all national CAD standards - facing to these small limitations of ArchiCAD tools. I just tried to create more advanced system.
I agree, it's painful sometimes to squeeze proper looking technical drawings from a model, there is so much to add which is not feasible to model, or should be abstracted.

I also have dozens of objects scattered in projects that I should find the time to organize and possibly share...
I also implemented library protection by connecting it to ArchiCAD licence number. Originally was idea that workers wouldn't take a library from the office and use it somewhere else. Currently I set, that library will work until September this year in any computer.
Could you explain how to protect a library with an "expiration date"? So far I only protected certain objects with a password, I guess that can be considered the barefoot solution.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
runxel
Legend
Thanks for this sneak peek!
Always great to see how others utilize Archicad (and mostly program the same GDLs to scratch some itches).
furtonb wrote:
Could you explain how to protect a library with an "expiration date"? So far I only protected certain objects with a password, I guess that can be considered the barefoot solution.
Well probably with the DateTime Addon. You just check if the current date is beyond your threshold.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»