Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD to Revit

Anonymous
Not applicable
What's the best way to export ArchiCAD to Revit? (In terms of retain the 3d geomery).

I tried the IFC format and it's not 100% retained.

Any idea?
11 REPLIES 11
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
diesellam wrote:
What's the best way to export ArchiCAD to Revit? (In terms of retain the 3d geomery).

I tried the IFC format and it's not 100% retained.

Any idea?
Check your ifc-model generated in ArchiCAD in tekla BIMsight/Solibri Model Viewer/DDS first to check the quality. If it's ok then open in Revit. If you can share what's not retained to 100% you might get suggestions on alternative methods of modelling. Which versions do you use? Revit has a weaker ifc-implementation which you also should consider.
Have you read the Graphisoft IFC-exchange manual?

Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
diesellam,

I assume you are asking about exporting for Revit Architecture? Go to File>Save As... and change the format to IFC, then click Settings. (Also found in File>File Special>IFC 2x3>IFC Translation Setup...) Find the General Translator and Duplicate it. With the copy highlighted, go to the Export Options subheading and change the IFC View Definition to "as boundary representation (BREP)".

This will prioritize the geometry in your IFC model. For more information on this topic please visit here and download the IFC2x3 Reference Guide: http://www.graphisoft.com/support/ifc/downloads/ and for more general reference: http://www.graphisoft.com/support/ifc/

Best regards.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Thanks for your input.
I tried your method. It's better than the default setting of the IFC, but as you can see, there are still a significant amount of elements are missing.

See attached.

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
Not applicable
image #2
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem with missing elements in IFC files is normally due to the element classification. I used to always have my meshes disappear. Try a different classification under “Tags and Categories” in AC 15 or “Classifications” in AC14 (don’t use automatic), Load bearing/Non-Load bearing I don’t think matters, nor does interior/exterior. I think there is another thread somewhere that I read about this problem, can’t remember if was on Archicad-talk or somewhere else.
I hope this helps.
Sorry I can’t be any more help, Just back from holiday, brain not back in gear.

Choose all the walls, and just change them in the info-box, last button in AC 14 and 15 I think. Do the same for all tools, once you find a Classification that works, for elements that disappear.

Allan
Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks like most of what's missing are structural elements. You may want to try the template for export to Revit Structure.

Another trick is to break the model up. This can be by story or layer or both depending on the size and type of project. IFC translation is never perfect but it can be very good to excellent in most cases with a bit of tweaking.

It's always a good idea to check the model in BIMsight, Solibri, etc. as Mats suggests to narrow down whether the problem is with the export or import. I have a project going from Revit to ArchiCAD where the floors and foundations all moved to the project origin which is remote from the building. Checking the IFC showed me that the problem was with the Revit export thus avoiding wasted time trying to fix the import.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess this is what I'm going to do for the time being.

I will save the model as dwg format for the parts that are missing from the IFC method.

At least the previously missing elements are missing to remodel them in Revit.

If you guys have a better suggestion, please let me know, thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The odd thing is that structural elements usually work quite well. I've had very little trouble with structures and what trouble I have had was fairly easily fixed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Note: there is an IFC hotfix for AC15 available. Try that first.
www.graphisoft.com/support/ifc/downloads/