BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCad SketchUp Interface

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used ArchiCad from 2002 to 20012, then left architecture and on my return in 2015 started using SketchUp Pro (for funding reasons), so with the old knowledge of ArchiCad and very proficient SketchUp knowledge, I am trying to establish how best I could use both software packages to the best advantage.

I am obviously aware of many individuals who have an emotional attachment to one or the other CAD programs, but this is not what this is about. I am really trying to establish of how best to use both tools.

An old client, who uses ArchiCad has requested that I prepare the documentation of his latest masterpiece, and is not concerned how the drawings are presented to the contractor - via SU or AC is irrelevant, he would however be able to view the latest updates in ArchiCad. I understand that in version 21, the interface with SU is quite good, both importing and exporting.

Is there anybody who is in a similar situation who is prepared to share some of your experiences.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1
stefan
Expert
You can export IFC from SketchUp. Not perfect (as many things don't come through well), but a wall will be a wall, if you classify it as such in SketchUp. For that, it needs to be a Component, though.

As an alternative, ARCHICAD can import SKP files. For some strange reason, some of my students modelled objects in SketchUp and imported those in their ARCHICAD model as (static) elements.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!