BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Archicad 15 - The "NEW" Office Template (it's that time)

rob2218
Enthusiast
Well...once again I've been tasked to create the our office template.
We are now using AC15 (latest update).

And I'm debating on whether to take an "existing AC15 project" and use that file as the template or simply use the stock "out of the box AC15 create a new file" and start from scratch.

We have wall types we've created, we have fills we created, we have layer combo's we've created...etc...

I need some advise here folks.

thanks.
RR
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
3 REPLIES 3
rob2218
Enthusiast
Some more insight into what my needs will be:
1) Create an office penset (this one's a biggy) that will suffice the different plans and different disciplines we use such as MEP.
2) Create a folder structure in the "model environment" , 'viewmap environment', and "layouts" that will address all our needs.
3) Create multiple layer combinations that will suffice for "new", "demo" and "existing" project information.
4) Create a logical "Renovation filter settings" that can accomodate our current office standards for "NEW", "EXIST" and "DEMO".
5) Create or have in place basic plumbing and kitchen objects such as toilet, lav, shower, tub that can be used for both "NEW" construction and "EXIST/DEMO" work.
6) Make sure our "fills", "materials", "linetypes", etc...are all in the template file.
7) make sure any of our 'Composites for walls, slabs, and roofs" are in the template file as well.

this is just the tip of the iceburg list folks.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
JaredBanks
Mentor
Huge questions here! Not sure if you saw it, but I just wrote a blog post last night on template logic...

http://www.shoegnome.com/2011/10/04/parallel-teams-serial-teams-and-the-critical-importance-of-templ...

It doesn't have answers to your exact questions, but it might help you frame what you need to do.

And here's my advice on pensets:

http://www.shoegnome.com/tag/pen-sets/

If you have the time and energy, I'd suggest starting from scratch. I know my template in v15, which is an evolution from v11 is missing some new standard fills, etc. that I've never gotten around to adding in.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
JaredBanks
Mentor
I've also got another 10-20 half written blog posts that will address a lot of your other questions, but sadly I doubt I'll get them done in time to help you with your v15 template. v16 though!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Learn and get certified!