Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Archicad 21 Template Conversion Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have some questions/issues with converting from Archicad 20 to 21.
What is the best way to transfer my working template/favorites from 20 to 21.
When I import the template to 21 and open the file, there some icons/items missing, i.e. the stair tool doesn't show up. when I open a file with the standard built in 21 template all the icons show up. Not sure if this is an issue anyone else is having?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
Dave,
So, unless you are trying to recreate the whole template from scratch (and why would you do that?), what are you finding to be so tedious?
When you take over from people that don't know what they are doing you get...
Materials...
100 % 275581186
100 % 275581351
100 % 321500486
Empty 275581207
Empty 275581186
Empty 268702604
MISSING FILL 275581186
MISSING FILL 328060487
MISSING FILL 328060487 (1)
MISSING FILL 328060487 (2)
and Archicad 70 library parts all over,
(current work place)

or

somebody who believes that you should only use the first 8 pens and all the rest should be White, and then complains that the built in Archicad library doesn't work.
(previous work place)

or

a person believes that pen 91 should be grey, that you should not have fill ID 64 or 65 (they were deleted from the template) and then complains that you have to change the default background for all library parts, and the stair tool doesn't work.
(work place before that, way back in 2008)

Sometimes you need to sit down and rethink a template due to the changes.
Sometimes there are break points in templates, introduction of renovation filter broke our favorites for doors/windows.
Building materials made a mess of our wall priorities for composite walls due to the funny numbers being chosen...

Incremental changes are better, but with 80 level towers with 4/5 year life cycles, you cant change/upgrade jobs half way through documentation...and its difficult to get efficient work flow when you have too many different templates or ways of doing things...

I am currently rewriting an entire template from scratch for a building company, getting rid of as much legacy library parts as possible, picking real building products for materials and surfaces (real paints, not fake colors, real stones from suppliers etc...), getting rid of the 80 extra lines that have crept into the template over time, making it so they can use the standard Archicad library, as the pen set they were using was based on the Archicad 7 version,(or no new Stair and Rail Tool)...
Note...
Archicad 21 uses line ID-25 "Small Dashed" for overhead lines in the stair tool in the INT template... is that the same for other templates?
I see that its default in Stair Library Part Macros.

and with AC21 "SET BUILDING_MATERIAL" for library parts

Profile - request options
Request options have been added or enhanced to support profile data. See the the section called “Profile Requests” for more.
• Request("Name_of_Profile"): returns the profile name identified by index.
• Request("Profile_components"): returns number and component type of the profile identified by index.
• Request("Profile_default_boundingbox"): returns the 2 defining coordinate point of the original bounding rectangle.
• Request("Profile_default_geometry"): returns the original geometric data of the profile.
• Request{4}("Profile_component_info"): returns a requested attribute value of a dedicated component.

With work environments, my master EXCEL spreadsheet contains the list of tools i need to add to a work environment, it makes that bit fast after i have checked for conflicts.

now back to my fun job... 😉
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Richard wrote:
1. Open your AC20 template in AC21.
2. Overwrite the AC20 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes with the new AC21 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes.
3. Modify WE as desired. Done.
I wish it was that simple -- that's the gist of it, unless you have Favorites, MVOs, Library Objects, etc. that have been affected by new features.

It was really fun last year when certain variables could no longer be used in Parameter Scripts -- a couple dozen of my custom Objects were broken. And they removed the User Defined parameters from the Door Objects and my door schedules were broken.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Laura wrote:
Richard wrote:
1. Open your AC20 template in AC21.
2. Overwrite the AC20 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes with the new AC21 Tool Schemes and Command Layout Schemes.
3. Modify WE as desired. Done.
I wish it was that simple -- that's the gist of it, unless you have Favorites, MVOs, Library Objects, etc. that have been affected by new features.

It was really fun last year when certain variables could no longer be used in Parameter Scripts -- a couple dozen of my custom Objects were broken. And they removed the User Defined parameters from the Door Objects and my door schedules were broken.
Yes--exactly. How about when building material identification was changed? I've only just recovered from that one.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)