Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad 22 DWG translators

Bob Moore
Enthusiast
Last week for the first time since I started using Archicad(2007) my engineers(Who use the latest AutoCAD) are unable to use the DWGs that I send to them. I sent them to two different sets of engineers and got the same response. I used both the built-in translator(the one I've always used) and the one that allows further editing because the first didn't work.

They get a warning saying the drawing was not created with a program not compatible with Autodesk. Basically, it looks like a picture, not a drawing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
15 REPLIES 15
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
What I do when 3rd party (subcontractor) tells me this is open the file in DWG TrueView, which is the free viewer from AutoDesk. If the file opens fine there, it's a problem on their end (ussually being too novice with autocad, sadly). Sometimes I save back several version (like 2014 or 2010) on the DWG and that works for them, even when they assure me they are running the latest software.

Edit: noticed you are on a mac computer. Sadly there is no OSx version of DWG Trueview, so you'll have to run it in a windows virtual machine or under bootcamp windows.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
Yes, I've had some issues in the past with certain individuals simply not knowing what they were doing. But these particular subcontractors have not had those issues.

Thanks
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
Eduardo Rolon
Draftsight is Free and multiplatform so no need to install bootcamp or a virtual machine.
For "picky" subcrontractors the trick is to get a sample file from them and use that as the base DWG for the translator.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Bob wrote:
Last week for the first time since I started using Archicad(2007) my engineers(Who use the latest AutoCAD) are unable to use the DWGs that I send to them. I sent them to two different sets of engineers and got the same response. I used both the built-in translator(the one I've always used) and the one that allows further editing because the first didn't work.

They get a warning saying the drawing was not created with a program not compatible with Autodesk. Basically, it looks like a picture, not a drawing.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

As far as I know, this warning has been in AutoCAD for about 8-10 years.
This is one of the scare tactics employed by Autodesk.
But I think if you just OK this Dialog, the DWG file should open fine in AutoCAD.

Or, did they proceed by OK-ing this Dialog and AutoCAD refused to open the DWG normally?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
They can open the drawing and see it but it is like seeing a PDF. They can't use it to do their discipline, only as something to trace.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I tried this and for me it is working properly. AutoCAD gives the following warning (Image 1).
I click the "Continue opening DWG file" option and it opens the file with no problem.
I was just wondering that could it be displaying one of the Layouts and is this why they think it cannot be edited (Image 2)?
In that case they should switch to Model Space using the TABs in the lower left corner.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I encountered a strange thing while checking out this issue.
I have saved 2 DWG from ARCHICAD.
The first I set to be saved in AutoCAD 2004 format. It opened without issue.
The second I set to be saved in AutoCAD 2018 format. When I opened it in AutoCAD 2019 it gave the following warning, stating that it was created in a Student Version so there will be a plot stamp in it. I will report this issue to GRAPHISOFT.
mikas
Expert
When saving the dwg with your preconfigured settings straight from the menu and then again saving through the publishers it is not the same thing. Straight from the project window you get dwg-elements separate and editable to autoCAD and the likes. Through the publisher it is always one big block, no matter what the settings are (no matter if they are exatly the same saved settings, it still gives a diffrent result).

Some consultants and constructors can use they programs efficiently and can get by with this difference. Some don't though, and they always whine about it.

I'd prefer to use publisher, it's way more convenient than separately saving every story etc.

I am publishing a lot of dwg:s today. I changed to publisher because of my own convenience, and I am waiting for comments later on. Let's see how it goes this time..

ps. I hope a true BIM-approach is getting more and more accepted over time by the ones involved in construction processes, and thus no dwg would be needed anymore (too high hopes maybe..).
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello Everyone,

I think the original issue of the subcontractors is probably how mikas explained. I just wanted to comment on the issue Laszlo Nagy pitched:
LaszloNagy wrote:
I encountered a strange thing while checking out this issue.
I have saved 2 DWG from ARCHICAD.
The first I set to be saved in AutoCAD 2004 format. It opened without issue.
The second I set to be saved in AutoCAD 2018 format. When I opened it in AutoCAD 2019 it gave the following warning, stating that it was created in a Student Version so there will be a plot stamp in it. I will report this issue to GRAPHISOFT.
This is because of an error in the engine we use for the export of AutoCAD 2018 DWG files. We have identified the issue and planning to solve it in ARCHICAD 23 (fix #258978).
Since this issue only affects AutoCAD 2018 DWG export, if you export to any other earlier version (e.g. 2017), it will work fine.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit