Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad - Autocad conversion

Anonymous
Not applicable
When can we have an Archicad to DWG converter that uses the lineweight property in Autocad?
Today we have to choices, if the display shows "true weight" we get wide polylines in Autocad which are difficult to work with. If the display shows "hairlines" we loose all lineweight information.
Surely it wouldn't be difficult to translate the pen width property of Archicad to the lineweight property of Autocad, just as colour and linetype do now?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I am not sure if someone will follow the discussion but this one is important.

I don't deny that AutoCAD line weight/pen style system is bad but it is quite common or should I say standard.

We are unable to make AutoCAD accept ArchiCAD drawings properly. Coloured lines (or poly lines) exported from ArchiCAD won't be recognized within AutoCAD when trying to plot with Plot Styles.

Anyone encountered with same problem?

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since 1999 (Autocad 2000) Autocad has had the ability to assign a lineweight to layers and objects. So it is no longer necessary (or even desirable) to map a particular colour to a lineweight when plotting. (Never mind that most Autocad users still do it the old way!)

The Archicad translation routine should in my opinion, take the penwidth parameter from the archicad pen table and map it to the linewidth parameter in Autocad.

Its six years since this should have been possible, but Archicad still can't do it and meanwhile archicad users get complaints from autocad users for "bad" drawings.

Mark Ratcliff
Rambøll Norge AS
Bergen
Norway
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anything that solves problem is fine.
I never pay too much attention to "bad drawings" comments as long as it works AT ALL but it seems it doesn't.

Further more polylines increasing size of DWGs significantly!

Regards