Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad & Cost Schedules / Schedule of Works / Tender

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am just making the move to Archicad and hoping to become much more efficient in terms of the documentation I produce. I am an architect in the UK working on private houses.

I am interested in being as effective as possible it streamlining the documentation I produce for tender. I normally produce drawings, a pricing document (essentially a schedule of works, with basic quantities) and the specification is largely in the form of notes on drawings. What is considered best practice now and is there a way to coordinate this with the information produced by Archicad?

Does anyone use NBS Create or any of their other products with Archicad? The biggest frustration I can see with NBS is that it does not produce an Excel spreadsheet that can be updated as the project is constructed. Essential for carrying out staged valuation and cost control.

I'd be interested to hear what you have found the best process to be?

T23
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe this will help you... Im looking for the same thing...
http://bimrecipe.com/specification/
Anonymous
Not applicable
jocontreras wrote:
Bimrecipe is marketing a simple interface change to ARCHICAD's own specification system that has been built into every ARCHICAD for decades (unfortunately, last updated in ARCHICAD 9, circa 2004).

Truth to be told, ARCHICAD has absolutely breathtaking built-in specification system that nobody ever uses in full. It is build upon multiple customizable databases, connection property objects and resulting List schedules. Every version of ARCHICAD comes out accompanied by a totally incomprehensible "ArchiCAD Calculation Guide" that is located in "Documentation" folder of every installation. This document tries, but fails to explain this long-forgotten, but extremely powerful feature.

It is only natural that some commercial entity would want to capitalize on GRAPHISOFT's reluctance to update this treasure (and, honestly, why GRAPHISOFT would want to update Lists... after all, it is only one of the key BIM dimensions, a coveted BIM 5D to be exact, and in no way as important as a new and improved umbrella library part ARCHICAD users get every year).

The verdict is as follows: if you are no stranger to BIM and can restrict yourself to proper BIM workflow (!important), don't mind doing your own setup and a bit of bug fixing and programming (Lists are buggy and being a very old feature have some odd limitations in the name lengths of specifications, for instance), ARCHICAD's Lists/Databases specification system would be one of the tools (together with BIMx and BIM server) that would easily bring you 100% client conversion rate. Literally.

If you are not willing to go the length, then some limited commercial interface to this old feature might help you get by.

I love Lists/Databases, but they are way too complex for most of users.

Did not want to sound grim... it just came out that way.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please excuse my rather off-putting and unconstructive rant in the previous message.
tekton23 wrote:
Hi,What is considered best practice now and is there a way to coordinate this with the information produced by Archicad?

I'd be interested to hear what you have found the best process to be?
ARCHICAD is, after all, a BIM aplication, so it does allow you to produce a fully coordinated BIM model. This means that you can easily get it to calculate quantities and all the related info you need if you approach it right.

It is difficult to give you specific advice on how to approach this without knowing what exactly you would like to accomplish (PM me if you need some advice specific to your practice), but the main direction is simple — you can get ARCHICAD to do whatever you need. The question is how.

ARCHICAD has two major areas related to specification process (you can see them in your Project Map tree).
  • Schedules
  • Lists
Schedules (or Interactive Schedules, as they are referred to in the manual) are a newer and much-better-supported tool for displaying/calculating/editing model-based quantities.
"Model-based" means quantities you can directly acquire from the model (for example, you can count how many times a specific object was used in your project; or you can get area/volume of a brick wall in square/cubic meters, but not the amount of bricks, sand, concrete and metal ties you need per cubic meter of volume of that wall).

Schedules are very well supported, easy to use and require little training (short of ubiquitous BIM-related approach constrains, but that is another story).

Lists are a very old specification system, that I mentioned in a post above, dating back to 2004.
Now, Lists are the coolest thing since sliced bread and, to my knowledge, no other BIM software on the market has it built-in in a way ARCHICAD does.
Lists is what you use to get the number of bricks, volume of sand, bags of concrete, or man-hours, kWt of energy or anything else you might think of in relation to some "model-based" property. For example, you might want to make a specification that states "1,57 kilograms of stucco finish material per square meter of this wall's surface; shaken, not stirred" and ARCHICAD will dynamically keep track of all the numbers and text notes for you, even if the specific wall surface is modified in any way.

Lists are not very user friendly, but are totally awesome when setup and debugged properly.

As I mentioned in my post above, understanding and implementing Schedules and Lists properly (together with BIM server/cloud and BIMx) is a sure way to a 100% client conversion rate for any architectural practice.
Anonymous
Not applicable
May be this tutorial will help you
https://youtu.be/L2MYjJJlYlA
alemanda
Advocate
Hopefully GS will implement a simple and userfriendly way to calculate using properties.
What I hope for is a property or better a type of property which can be scheduled with the proper unit.
In other words same concept of list but using the more user friendly properties. For example a wall coulde have more than one property which will be a BOQ entry.

It is somehow what we can do now using IFC data mapping. But of course properties will allow a wider range of possibilities.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
godi
Enthusiast
Anton wrote:
jocontreras wrote:
Truth to be told, ARCHICAD has absolutely breathtaking built-in specification system that nobody ever uses in full. It is build upon multiple customizable databases, connection property objects and resulting List schedules. Every version of ARCHICAD comes out accompanied by a totally incomprehensible "ArchiCAD Calculation Guide" that is located in "Documentation" folder of every installation. This document tries, but fails to explain this long-forgotten, but extremely powerful feature.
In our office we have ALL Archicad element listed with his own parametric and customized properties scripts, every kind of slab, wall, objetc, door... everyone give us all his componentes, we do NO materials measurement at all.

You need a minimum of GDL mastering but the power of this way is impossible to obtain with the simplistic schedule system
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Godi I absolutely agree with you.

Did you manage to retrieve quantities for stairs? and do calculations in AC21?
because from first looks it seems that stairs and railings do not support the list system. Although the objects do have property script and can be found in criteria dialog they are not available in the list scheme settings dialog.

tried to apply property objects on them through editing with gdl editor but did not manage to list components.

Thanks
godi
Enthusiast
No success at all with stairs and rails. Simply GS has not implemented these objects to use list.

We're doing our bills of materials using list system for all project but those two kind of objects, and I have defined two schedules for stairs and rails.

Schedule system is a so underpowered, simply and rigid, that there's no way to obtain anything too detailed: no more than pure length and height of rails and step number in stairs.

I really can't understand that decision of GS.
Anonymous
Not applicable
godi wrote:
and I have defined two schedules for stairs and rails.
Yes but you lose the continuity of the estimate document.

Now we get three documents that we need to amend and edit somewhere else.