BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad slow after DWG import

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
I have Archicad 16 EDU. I have just imported a 2D drawing from Autocad, quite large in size, and I am currently trying to draw on top of it. The problem is Archicad is very slow, even when I am trying to draw a simple line. How can I solve this?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Eduardo Rolon
My way of importing a DWG in AC is as follows:

1. First use the "Place" command instead of import and if you can, avoid exploding the drawing. This should speed things up. If you need to explode it then you will need to figure out what layers turn on/off so you see only what you need. The only limitation if I remember correctly is that you cannot "magic wand" particular lines since they are not independent.

2. Place the drawing in a "worksheet" and crop it to the size that you need by clicking on the corner nodes. If it is a large area you could split the DWG in different worksheets by copy/paste the Placed DWG and moving the cropped area.

3. Use "Trace and Reference" to show only the relevant part of the DWG/worksheet in your story.

---
Hope this Helps
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you a lot. I am trying your way right now.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.
I am sorry I am back so late.
I need to import the drawing to redraw some lines of it in Archicad and otherwise create the volumes of the rest. I used the PLACE command, but I figured out I do not know how to place it in a worksheet. I placed it on the ground floor. How do I place it on a worksheet? and Does it serve my purpose?
Thank you in advance.
Eduardo Rolon
It is ok to place it in the floor plan, the benefit of using a Worksheet is that since it is a different window you can use Trace/Reference to turn on or off without using layers.

To create a WS look in the Navigator for the WS icon right click on it, select "new independent ws", assign ID and Name (DWG-01, First Floor), verify the scale (should match the floor plan but is not critical) on the new window and place the drawing in it.

To show the WS in floor plan you will use Trace/Reference which is explained in the Manual.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!