Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

'Archive' Project?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I plan on purchasing the retina Macbook Pro in a month time (whenever Mountain Lion is released), and I have projects from ArchiCAD 14 and 15 that I will need to transfer.

The projects used non-archicad objects and components such as OBJECTiVE. Would saving the project as a archived project .PLA (?) be the best way to re-open the file in ArchiCAD 16 on a new computer? Would I need to locate each library item and transfer that as well to ensure that it runs smoothly?

Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Students buying new laptop - unheard of in my day!
Mind you I don't think there was any such thing as a laptop back then.

Archiving your plans will save all used library parts with them - or you do have the option to save all loaded libraries as well.

But instead of opening all jobs and saving as PLA files I would just copy the jobs and all libraries across to the new machine.
If you place the libraries in the same folder path as the old machine they will automatically load when you open the files.
Or if you do place them in a different location you will just need to re-load the libraries to establish the new file path.

Make sure you get the new Objective objects as there is a problem in 16 with the way it handles some of the scripting - in particular with the Modular joinery object.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=39959

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply Barry.

If I copy the entire ARchiCAD 15 folder, would I then select the OBJECTiVE folder and the folder with my own objects? Then copy that to the existing 'new' folder on my new computer? Can I 'merge' the contents just fine or must they remain within AR15 folders as I will be upgrading to AR16 EDU when released.

Thank you
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I described the steps of transferring projects to another computer in an ArchiCAD Wiki article: http://archicadwiki.com/TransferProjects

Please check my draft and feel free to edit it.
Katalin Takacs
Barry Kelly
You won't need to copy the entire "Archicad 15" folder - just the folder/s you have added with you own objects in.
I am not sure if OBJECTiVE is an add-on or just library parts.
If it is an add-on then you will need to download and install the new add-on for version 16.
If it is just library parts then you should be able to copy it but you may need to upgrade to newer 16 version if there is one due to the GDL problem in 16.
Encina will have all the information you need about that I am sure.

I keep all of my job specific objects and non-Archicad libraries separate from the main Archicad installation folder.
That way they will not be affected by any installing or un-installing of Archicad products.
Add-ons are different because they must be installed in the Archicad folders - but you will need new add-ons for each version - they can't be copied as they will only run on the version they were written for.

When you open your files you will soon now if anything is missing as per the link Katalin mentioned.
Then you can track down the missing files and copy those across and re-load or re-link to them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11