Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Artlantis vs. New User!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,
Just wondering what kind of a learning curve to expect with the Artlantis Studio. I have been working with ArchiCAD for some time now and I need a solution to produce photorealistic images that can be placed on large brochures for a local company. I am fairly familiar with Lightworks (many thanks to Dwight for his awesome book) and wondered how much of a learning curve to expect. I know this is a broad and loaded question, but looking for any advice.
Thanks,
Chris
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
In the little time I have spent with Artlantis (several years ago now) I found it to be very easy to get going on and possible to produce good results almost immediately. The really high end work takes more time (which I didn't have) but it didn't seem that the program was any problem to learn in this regard, it's just an inherently difficult task.
Karl Ottenstein
Chris,

Artlantis Studio (and R) are pretty intuitive (especially compared with prior verisons - 4.5, 4.0 etc). Download the demo and the tutorial videos and try it out. An hour or so will get the basics; another hour or so for animations. The Artlantis forums are pretty active.

Drag-and-drop and immediate feedback for materials, lighting, etc are huge benefits.

Most frequent complaint is the lack of a printed manual with complete "how to's" - and occassional Franglish that requires deciphering.

Here's what I would guess is the top issue that someone might have when first taking an ArchiCAD model into Artlantis via ATL export: ArchiCAD materials come across properly oriented, but they are implemented as applied textures. A new Artlantis user might want to drag and drop a new material onto an ArchiCAD mapped surface, but will have to delete the ArchiCAD texture via the shaders panel first before anything will be visible. (Note that there is a fair amount of power there, too - you can apply multiple textures - even by drag and drop from Finder or Explorer and vary the opacity/etc of each - and also drag non-tiling textures - e.g., manhole cover or carpet, and drag them to the desired location on the surface. All visual.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB