BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Attaching an XREF from autocad?

rob2218
Enthusiast
using AC12.
trying to "External reference" attach a DWG file from Acad.
thing is....it comes in locked which fine I can unlock "ALL" the layers.
but....I can't seem to "MOVE" the linework?
what gives?

whats the appropriate setting I need to attach an XREF drawing in from Autocad??
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
Matthew wrote:
As far as performance goes I have created many worksheet references like this with no noticeable performance hit. On some of my larger projects I'm sure I have well over a hundred such worksheets.
You have to teach me how you do that Matthew, because my results are totally different.

The more Xrefs I have on a single file, the slower (and bigger) it gets.
I can't tell you much more than I already have. Perhaps I have faster equipment or I'm just less bothered by open/save times. The performance while working seems entirely unaffected by all the placed drawings.

The files naturally get bigger since they are storing more data and the open/save times get a bit longer but not so much that I would change my workflow to reduce them. I haven't timed it but it seems like about a minute, maybe two, to open a file and not long to save.

This may be different over a network. I am presently working locally to an internal drive, but when I was working in a client's office regularly on similar projects I had pretty much the same experience. There may also be a difference with xREFs. I tend to use them only rarely so I can't say if they would really stuff it up in large numbers.

Maybe the key is to use mostly placed drawings on worksheets.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Maybe the key is to use mostly placed drawings on worksheets.
It´s worth a try.
Thanks
Learn and get certified!