Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

AutoCAD embedded layers to print in color

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

First post here and new to ArchiCAD, so this might be a dumb question... We have project where we have to use external DWG content on the AC model. We have placed the DWG as a drawing in the model and we need to be able to print from AC so that a few specific embedded layers print as color and everything else as black and white.

I am having trouble grasping the idea of how to do this, or is it possible? I know I can the set pen settings for individual AC elements, but how do I do this for embedded DWG layers? I am used to working with AutoCAD and as you might know, there you can set a color for a layer, but in AC I believe that is not possible.

Thank you!!
4 REPLIES 4
Hello rleht333 and congratulation about your beginning with Archicad,
rleht333 wrote:
..DWG as a drawing in the model...
You are able to import DWG as a drawing (without on one layer) or like an Xref (with all DWG layers)
Then if you want to have one color about each layer, you have to use a graphics override (since Archicad 20)
Here the link to understand what does it mean : here
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Eduardo Rolon
The easiest way IMO is to place the DWG as a drawing "File -> External Content -> Place External Content". This will not polute your AC file with a lot of layers or other parameters.

After placing select the drawing, right click and select properties, there look for "Pen Set" click on "Drawings Own Pen Set" and click "Add to Project Pen Sets"

Go to "Options -> Pen and Colors" and Select the saved pen set and edit the colors to change to black the ones you need and change the colors of the others as desired.

Go back to the drawing and select its settings again and under "Pen Sets" change from "by source" to the newly created pen set. Make sure that under "Colors" , original colors is selected.
-----
This was the procedure before GO's was introduced.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

thanks a lot so far. What I still don't quite understand is how do I actually assign the color pen number to a certain embedded layer in the ArchiCAD model. For example if I draw just a 2D line in ArchiCAD, I can change the pen assigned to it simply from its settings, but I cannot actually select the objects in an embedded layer and access their settings.

I might be missing something totally fundamentally simple here though...
Eduardo Rolon
Couple of concepts
In AC traditionally you don't assign colors by layers but by objects.
Also you try to avoid embedding layers.
If possible in your case I would backtrack remove all the embedded layers and place the DWG as a drawing. If that is not possible and to avoid changing all the lines in those layers to another color then you will need to use Graphic Overrides and define rules there for "2d Objects in Layer XXX change pen color to AAA", "2d Objects in Layer YYY change pen color to BBB" , save the combination and assign to the view.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator