BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Autodesk Upgrade Pricing

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I just read a post about the changes Autodesk is planning for their upgrade pricing. Basically it is about forcing everybody on subscription otherwise they will pay their shirt off:

http://bimboom.blogspot.com/2012/05/news-flash-autodesk-to-remove-upgrade.html

The way they do it is they say that upgrade from the 6 previous versions will cost 70% of the full price of the software (it now costs 50% for the last 3 versions, then 70% for the next last 3 version). So if you buy, say AutoCAD 2013 or Revit 2013 now but do not go on subscription, then next year you will have to pay 70% of the full price to upgrade from version 2013 to version 2014.
So basically their users are COERCED to be on subscription.
The guy also says they will also increase the price of their subscriptions so either way it is more money out of the pockets of their users into theirs.

I honestly feel sorry for their users. It feels to me like Autodesk is now fully using its size and power to have its way to the detriment of the users it should be serving.

What do you guys think?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like the Dark Ages 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Australia must be in the dark ages then...

I've understood Graphisoft have a similar pricing strategy here in Australia for years - there is no incentive to not subscribe as you have to pay for any 'missed' upgrade steps enroute to the version you want.

e.g. have 14, miss 15, want 16? then you must pay for 16 and for the 15 upgrade as well! And it follows the longer you leave it...the more prohibitively expensive it becomes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
rwallis wrote:
Australia must be in the dark ages then...

I've understood Graphisoft have a similar pricing strategy here in Australia for years - there is no incentive to not subscribe as you have to pay for any 'missed' upgrade steps enroute to the version you want.

e.g. have 14, miss 15, want 16? then you must pay for 16 and for the 15 upgrade as well! And it follows the longer you leave it...the more prohibitively expensive it becomes.
...but that's a well understood model used for years and with many software vendors, where you need to pay for the missed steps. There are no issues with that....I'd be mightily pi33ed off if I had to pay 70% of the new purchase price if I missed one upgrade.!!!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Rwallis,
What is the cost as a percentage of the full license if you wish to upgrade from 1, 2 and 3 versions ago?
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Rwallis,
What is the cost as a percentage of the full license if you wish to upgrade from 1, 2 and 3 versions ago?
I can tell you.
We were on Archicad 12 when we switched to Revit (yuk ! ). Realising the errors of our way we needed to pay the two years subscription to Archicad 14 at the time which equated to about 30% of a new seat price in total.

Rob
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So that would be about 15% of full price for one year's upgrade. That's about the price I know of.
JaredBanks
Mentor
A lot of architects are going to get screwed in a few years. Seems reasonable that there are plenty of firms on Revit that won't understand this policy change until it's too late.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Im not sure Graphisoft are much better.

I am being quoted over £2000 to upgrade from 12 to 16

Or about 75% of the fee for a whole new seat.

Seems steep to me.
Barry Kelly
Yeah but that is 4 versions.
Less than 20% per version - that's not bad.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!