Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Autodesk to Acquire NavisWorks

TomWaltz
Participant
Tom Waltz
11 REPLIES 11
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Wow... that is just sad...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
I'm trying to see the bright side of this - and can't, today. Sad.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I have never liked the Navisworks product. I have always considered it to be a dead end, expensive file viewer. And I am not impressed with its automated interference detection abilities.

Some, however, consider it to be an essential component in their workflow. I guess today is a celebration of those that have joyfully fallen onto the Autodesk bandwagon.

Riff Masteroff
Dwight
Newcomer
Note to self: "To joyfully fall on the Autodesk sword."
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

...again.
TomWaltz
Participant
I liked what I had seen done with it. I had always wished our engineers were using 3D/BIM-type stuff so we could give the collision detection and analysis a try.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Suddenly I'm scared. I use NW with Constructor and no know what is going to happen now. I don't want to switch to Revit.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello All,

From my usage, I feel that 3d programs in the non-construction sector use display technology that is orders of magnitude better than 3d/BIM programs for the AEC industry. Navisworks is just a little below average on that scale.

Navisworks also has no useful output (is not interoperable), is way too expensive for what you get and it forces you to purchase the programs that it inputs. For example, what good is it to input and resolve a point cloud (laser scan) if you can't output the geometry?

The loss of Navisworks should be a call to arms to replace the need for its use. A GS reseller once said to me: "sadly Navisworks is all we have". I deeply respect her intellect and knowledge. I do feel, however she has a non-visible set of blinders on.

AC really needs to come up to the standards of computer software circa 2007. Is your layers panel interactive? Does it update the viewports as soon as you make a layer(s) visible? Can you have any number of backround (ghost) layers visible in the 3d view. Can you mix and match selected foreground and backround (ghost) layers from multiple models all loaded into RAM at the same time? Can you view pancake flat multiple dwg drawings in the 3d (perspective) viewport? Can you walk through walls in the perspective (3d) view? Redraw in the 3d viewport should be so fast that you are not aware that the computer is doing it. You should be able to jiggle your mouse as fast as you hand can move it and have the model jiggle on screen with it just as fast. Is the limit of polygons around 100 million before AC starts to react slower?

In December of 2005 a friend said to me, "you won't like it compared to what you are doing, ArchiCAD is clunky". Sheesh, I dearly want to use AC's toolset without work arounds. My merely human mind can detect problems with a design a whole lot better than a $5000 (US) Navisworks module can detect the (problem) subset of interferences. But I do need to be able to look at and manipulate the model correctly.

Riff Masteroff
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, well. I allow myself to disagree on that. Lets just say that NW works best in complex environment. Try to find all the clashes in the 500 000 sqft hospital. Good luck with "human mind". NW does not have (almost) any output because it is the final tool. What would be the purpose of export? What would you like to export? This tool allows you to import almost anything and that what counts. and it can display far faster than any BIM/CAD software on the market. Important when you work with complex structures.