Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

BIM Cloud Server on Linux (I know, I know...)

matjashka
Enthusiast

Hello,

It's 2022 and it's time to raise the ...boring... topic of Linux again. Not asking for Archicad, only the BIM server.

For a server, Apple hardware is overpriced and limited, Mac server software functionality is shrinking and I can't even download older versions of software if needed. We're not interested in throwing Windows into the mix.

1. GS is running their BIM Servers in Google Cloud (if I understand correctly) -- is that Windows based, or Debian/Fedora/FreeBSD?
  2. The entire BIM Cloud management interface is web-based. The server itself could just be packaged as a separate installer (Snap, AppImage, Flatpak etc.) -- no need to rely on Linux dependencies or create separate UI.
  3. Linux distributions like Ubuntu/Kubuntu are popular, a breeze to install on inexpensive hardware, free to use, super easy to update.

We would happily pay for a Linux BIM Cloud license, instead of wondering what features will be dropped in the next MacOS release.

Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
4 REPLIES 4
Nader Belal
Mentor

Actually I would ask for the whole bundle ...

Best options for Archicad (untested), is going for Garuda Linux, and pop!_os

Or you can build your Linux Server with a VM with Windows Installed and BIMserver

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.

And how would there be enough customers for Graphisoft to recoup the millions of Euros it would take to produce a Linux version... if it were even possible?  Keep in mind, that ARCHICAD uses a variety of 3rd party libraries/components ... many of which may not be available for Linux anyway.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein

@matjashka You say you would happily pay for a "BIM Cloud" license... you can do that today.  When you sign up for BIM Cloud, you have no idea what platform it is running on and it should not matter.  But, perhaps you are talking about BIM Cloud Basic which can run on your own hardware?  If that's the case, maybe you can say how you think Graphisoft could recoup the development cost of a Linux version... and the maintenance of then three versions  in parallel (with Windows and MacOS)?  Given what the cost to you would have to be... it is cheaper for you to just pay the extra for your Mac Mini server (or use a Windows server, which shouldn't matter at all in an otherwise Mac office with BIM Cloud Basic).

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Not that versatile on OS, but here are my thoughts....
1. Is there a possibility to run Archicad through a linux Container or through a Docker container ???
2. I know that many programs have OS dependencies, and trying substitute them in Linux is painful, why not provide the Linux Community with the needs, and let them provide the substitutes ??

If that looks naive, yes I know it is, but Windows OS is getting intrusive and creepy on many aspects by the day, and I´m looking for other solutions to substitute it.

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.