BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BIM Server and Archioffice 2010

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are being told that Archioffcie 2010 can't be run (served) on the same machine as BIM. They don't say BIM Server specifically. Anyone have any experience with this? Something about using the same ports...
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
SteveC0013 wrote:
We are being told that Archioffcie 2010 can't be run (served) on the same machine as BIM. They don't say BIM Server specifically. Anyone have any experience with this? Something about using the same ports...
Who is telling you this? I cannot see any reason that they cannot run on the same machine. You can explicitly choose non-conflicting ports for BIM Server if there is a conflict.

But, this ArchiOffice article
http://www.bqe.com/BillQuickKB/KBDetail.aspx?KBID=548
does not list any ports that conflict with the default BIM Server ones.

Some older (AC 13 oriented) info on BS ports is here:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Teamwork/BimServerConfiguration

Note the very end of the article:
Additionally, you can coax the BIM Server to search for ports above xx by changing the Model Service Port for the BIM Server to a number above xx
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
On a side note, we are going to be installing ArchiOffice in the near future - how do you guys like it?
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have to apologize... Typically I'll do some homework before posting.... I still haven't done that home work but I suspect that what they (BQE/Archioffice) really mean by BIM is Revit... Currently we are not running BIM Server because our file server doesn't meet the specs required. We are a small office and don't have a ton of shared projects so we've avoided spending that money. Our file server technically doesn't meet Archioffice 2010 specs but they said it should still work. I was annoyed to think that we might end up having to buy two new machines to run both pieces of software, partly because of the expense but that is really a problem for the partners. My biggest annoyance was the added machine that I would end up maintaining...
Anonymous
Not applicable
MMontgomery wrote:
On a side note, we are going to be installing ArchiOffice in the near future - how do you guys like it?
I like it just fine... We haven't installed 2010 yet... They (BQE) had trouble with the Mac installer... We should be upgrading soon. I just use it for tracking my time and total project time. The partners get into the billing and accounting functions of it...
Anonymous
Not applicable
An ArchiOffice representative told me that ArchiOffice could not run on a BIM Server because both programs use the same port numbers for communication.

If this is the case, I think both vendors should allow users to adjust the port settings to avoid this issue. It will be costly to have two separate servers especially for small or one-man operations who wish to outsource drawing production for increased productivity and reduced overheads. The BIM Server is the perfect solution to achieve this.

The use of ArchiOffice will become a vital tool for firms. I know it will definitely minimize the amount of time I currently spend on administration tasks, I would rather be designing and drawing.
Eduardo Rolon
AFAIK you can specify your port numbers in your Bim Server.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
As I responded to the initial question:
Karl wrote:
You can explicitly choose non-conflicting ports for BIM Server if there is a conflict.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
what is "Archioffice 2010"?
is it for Macs?
what is that?

Can someone point me to the proper website where they sell Archioffice?

Also...we ran into a similar situation with the BIM server and the port 14004 messaging port which Archicad defaults to for messagine.

Whenever we launched "ichat" the BIM server would krap out...basically "STOP RUNNING" and we had to continually "RESUME" the Bim server manager. It was very annoying....until a dude from GS..."Tim" was his name, helped us out tremendously.

He instructed us to use port 61616 which apparently came from Archicad13's communication port numbers is what he said....and once we did that...it worked like a charm.

Another side note. We had to reconfigure our modem/router (same box from Comcast) settings to also provide the BIM server with port forwarding to that same port 61616.

Knock on e-woody, we have yet had any issues so far...again, thanks Tim from GS!!
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Karl Barker
Participant
We have been running archioffice for around five years now but still have not upgraded to 2010 version due to a variety of issues. Namely the Mac OS installer not working properly.
I have taken a couple of old iMacs of our drawings team and used then as separate servers, one for each. I am currently running AO2010 in test format where only I work with it.
I have found it to be a emory hog in the intel iMac, such that I would not want both our BIM server and the Archioffice server on the same machine anyway.

Best bet for your money if you do need new computers is to upgrade your workstations and reuse the old ones as your servers.
Cheers,
Karl Barker.

27" iMac 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i9
32 Gig Ram
Mac OSX 10.14.6
AC 5.5 - AC22 (NZE)
Learn and get certified!