BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BIM Server and network speeds 100BaseT vs. 1000BaseT

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are looking to install BIM Server on a Mac mini, running Mac OS X Server, version 10.6. It will only be available on our LAN, which is currently a 100BaseT network.

Question: Is a 100BaseT network sufficient? Would there be a noticeable performance increase if the network is upgraded to Gigabit speeds?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
You will notice the difference in data transfer times for large files (e.g., initially joining a project and also downloading libraries) with a gigabit network. But, it won't be a major issue on a day to day basis if your network is small. How many users will be active on the network?

I recently upgraded my network, as I'm often copying multi gigabyte video files around, and appreciate the increased speed. TW and library files are tiny in comparison though.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply, Karl. We have a relatively small network, about 10 users.
Haneef Tayob
Booster
Just having to load the BIMServer libraries each time is already a few hundred megabytes, even if it is only for the ArchiCad14 library.
I think you'll definitely feel the difference.

regards
Haneef
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!