Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BIM Server performance over different protocols

Robert Nichols
Advocate
I'm still gettting my feet wet with BIM Server, having upgraded from v11 to v14 just a couple of weeks ago.

I'm able to join a TW project from a remote location, but seem to be getting widely varying transmission speeds depending on connection type. Specifically, when I have a VPN connection, and I refer to the BIM Server by its internal IP address, everything over the wire happens faster than when I access server via a simple internet connection, referring in that case to the fixed domain name of my router.

And opening a v14 solo file remotely, over a VPN connection, is faster than both the TW join scenarios described above.

Is there a clear reason solo vs. TW should be so different over VPN? And with respect to TW over VPN vs. raw internet connection, I would have thought the VPN encryption would have made that slower than raw internet, but that's not what I'm seeing.

I realize there are a lot of specifics that affect my various connections, but are there any known general principals about TW networking that shed any light on this question?
Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13
0 REPLIES 0