Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BIMcloud and Hyper-V

Johan Stinckens
Advocate

We currently run BIMcloud on a Hyper-V installation with several VM's.

There's the DC/Fileserver, the BIMcloud and a VM with our linux VoIP installation.

Apart from the VoIP, for which we have ongoing quality issues, everything seems to work fine most of the time.

There are moments however, when it appears that Teamwork projects do not load as quickly as normal. I can't point a finger on why that would happen, and maybe it is just nothing more than that, an idea that it is slower.

Any ideas on BIMcloud and mixed VM usage?

Pro's and Con's! Do's and Dont's!

Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
5 REPLIES 5
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

I can't really give you pro's and con's, but can give you some tips what to check:

• Is there any on-going BIMProject snapshot creation when you experience Teamwork processes slow? - If yes, then re-schedule them after working hours.
  • Check IOPS of the BIMcloud Server's disk - if it is a low number, it takes more time to the Server to finish operations.
  • Do you have enough RAM under the BIMcloud Server? As a more specific calculation, use 2 GB plus 1.5 times as much RAM as the actively used projects' size, which is approximately 4.5 times larger than a PLN (and actively used means used at the same time by Teamwork users). For example, if there is a 1 GB and two 3 GB size projects which are used on the same BIMcloud Server actively at the same time, then 2 + 1.5 x (1 + 2 x 3) = 12.5 >>> 16 GB RAM is recommended.
  • Can Archicad clients access the BIMcloud Server directly? Having a so called "one port only" communication is not healthy and will cause performance issues on both ends.

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Johan Stinckens
Advocate

Hi Noemi,

I will check these things in the next few days.

Can you elaborate on direct client access to the BIMcloud server? What do you mean by this?!

What defines a "one port only" communication?!

Johan Stinckens
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Open an Archicad and go to Teamwork > Project > Open / Join Teamwork Project... and on the server dropdown list, select 'Run Network Diagnostic Tool for <your BIMcloud's name>'.

Check the details: if you can see the BIMcloud Server on the list, or all addresses are red, then BIMcloud Server is not directly available from Archicad, and all communication goes through only the BIMcloud Manager. If it is good, then you see something similar like this:

NoemiBalogh_0-1632837451537.png

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

These are the settings for our BIMcloud installation.

20210928_BIMcloud-001.JPG20210928_BIMcloud-002.JPG

Johan Stinckens

This looks good, so I suggest to check the other settings I mentioned. 🙂

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin