BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Basic home office set up

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wasn't able to find this answer in the forums, but feel free to tell me to keep looking or link me up if this has already been posted.

I haven't found a simple description of how a home office might be set up to back up files and also run Bim Manager in a reliable but affordable way. I was looking at getting a Synology NAS, but it is unclear how that would interface with our file set up.

Options seem to be:
1) Get another computer (Mac Mini) and additional storage to work as a server that will hold all files. (More expensive than I think I want)
2) Get a NAS and use my computer to run the bim cloud. But then I'm unclear how file paths would work - would I have to host all current bim files on my computer, and all other project files centrally on the NAS?
3) ???

I work with my wife and have no plans to expand the office other than possibly the occasional intern, and we both work off MBPs.

Any help or direction much appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5
Hello fadllc,

BimCloud does not deals with working with a file but with a database.
BimCloud is a client Server environment available on Windows and MacOS.
A NAS is a GNU/Linux device BimCloud is not available on GNU/Linux.
You are able to install BimCloud on a MacMini but if you want to work on it through internet you have to open the right port on your modem to allow access.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Christophe. Maybe I was overthinking this.

If I understand correctly; the files can be hosted wherever - on my machine, on the cloud, NAS, etc - and we will still be able to use Bim Cloud/Teamwork. Network speeds may slow down file access if they are not on my machine, but otherwise there are no issues with this set up.
Christophe wrote:
BimCloud does not deals with working with a file but with a database
So without any PLN or MOD or PLA file !
Christophe wrote:
to work on it through internet you have to open the right port on your modem to allow access.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Marc H
Advisor
Not my strength in running Teamwork; I work with solo projects on my MBP, so I'll leave to others the necessary configuration for Teamwork. However, perhaps a shared iCloud folder or MBP file folder share between your devices might work? (Note: In addition to WiFi, a data T3 cable can provide a direct wired connection. Incredibly fast.)
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
In middle of watching this interview, and they're talking about storing large models on Amazon AWS cloud service.

At about the 16 minute mark, it should auto-play there.

Thought of you and your post here

I'm new AC user myself and solo practitioner, so not 100% sure this is what you're looking for, but wanted to share just in case.
Learn and get certified!