BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Beginner unable to import IFC object file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not very experienced, but I had hoped I would be able to do this without help. That said, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of tutorials on importing IFC objects since Eric Bowbrow's one from 2013 on version 16. I'm using 21.
Using the interoperability.merge functions I keep being told that my file path is too long or I don't have rights. But if I shorten the file path I get told that I don't have rights or I'm trying to import the wrong IFC type. Since I'm using the standard NBS IFC download, I don't see how that can be?
What am i missing?
Thanks folks
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
I expect we could build one up using the standard Archicad window tool, but I just thought that importing a detailed manufacturer’s file would be more accurate and authentic in terms of the details.
Barry Kelly
Possibly, but they won't be parametric objects.
For the small scale documentation (1:100 - 1:50) I would just use any object that does what you want (so long as it looks OK).
They will be adjustable and I don't think you will notice the detail at that size.
For large scale details, I would use the manufacturers details if need be.
I wouldn't be relying on getting large scale details directly from the model - I would use 2D drawings.
I might get the basic structure from the model, but frame and trim details I would create with 2D lines or get them straight from the manufacturer and do a bit of copy & paste.

I guess it all depends on what sort of documentation you are trying to produce.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I agree that keeping things parametric and out of the box allows you to use the strengths of ArchiCAD. I would not try to import a static 3D model for a window either. The standard library parts allow for a lot of extra settings like sills, reveal options, brick/masonry details etc. As pointed out by Barry, you are unlikely to notice detailed differences at 1:50 scale, which is the smallest scale we generally use for our model output. 1:5 details are just 2D and I would often import manufacturer 2D details for this part only.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello gabalco,

Based on the errors you described I would say there's a problem with the installed instance of your ARCHICAD 21 and/or you do not have administrator rights on your system (or the access rights are not properly set).

First I would completely uninstall ARCHICAD 21 with all of it's contents, and do a clean reinstall. After that (or even before) repair the disk permissions.

If that doesn't help, then the problem is deeper, and I think that you should contact your local GRAPHISOFT Technical Support Team for some hands-on assistance. In the meantime (as I understand) you can work this issue around by using ARCHICAD 22 and saving the project back to 21, or opening the IFC files on different computers and then moving the PLN files to yours.

As a general suggestion, I also agree with the others about that I prefer parametric objects. In most scales they display properly, and I usually just download the details from the vendor's website and use them in detail drawings only. If that's not quite your speed, I think BIMobject has a better selection of native ARCHICAD parametric doors and windows, of real products.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Djordje
Ace
Stumbled upon this topic, as an acquaintance from the Dark Side of BIM wondered why do we need the IFC objects at all, and whether we can use them in ARCHICAD (implying that they can not?!?)

Simple drag and drop for the objects is all needed in 22, did not check the previous versions.

Will have to double check for the doors and windows... just dragging and dropping a door creates an OK plan with a piece of a wall, but just the empty opening in 3D.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!