Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Best format for topographic data?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I was asked to produce an Archicad compatible 3D terrain model for a client. Now all the tutorials on the web focus on creating "site models" from "surveyors data", that is from 3D points. Since I have the original data (a dense grid), i could do the meshing better than the Archicad mesher could. Also it would be inconvenient for the client to have to do that extra step (meshing). What format could i deliver a mesh in so that the client could easily use it as a 3D site model with minimal extra work. I do not have Archicad, but I can produce most file formats (dxf/obj/stl etc..) except proprietary ones.

Rephrasing: What format would you like to receive 3D topography in?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Max:

The problem with delivering the topography a in these other formats (dxf/obj/stl etc.) is that the terrain will come in as a fixed Object that cannot be edited, not an editable Mesh. It would be best to provide a text or XYZ file that can be used with the Place Mesh from Surveyor's Data... command which will create an editable Mesh. The help center guide is here: Other Formats Opened by ARCHICAD.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you David.

This is what i wanted to avoid, but if it's the only way then that is how it is.

-Max
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Max:

Either method utilizes some sort of import command, so from the user's point of view the effort would be similar (import and convert to Object, or open txt file and convert to Mesh). So I don't think the user is being burdened this way. Good luck.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't remember where I have seen this but I think it may be possible for the architect to use the Rhino-Grasshopper-AC Connection to solve this issue.

He gets the point file from you and he can use the Place Mesh from Surveyor Data command to generate a Mesh from it.

Then he can get the geometry of the Mesh to Rhino with the Grasshopper-ARCHICAD Connection.

I think Grasshopper includes capabilities to take such a geometry and slice it with horizontal planes, thereby obtaining Mesh Level Polylines at specified intervals.

Then Grasshopper may be able to generate a new Mesh into ARCHICAD from those obtained Mesh Level Polylines.

This is the theory but you would have to try it because I haven't had the chance to try it myself.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27