BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Best way to convert archiCad model to counterstrike level

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Everyone,

I have a very relevant question. What is the best way to convert a archicad model to a counterstrike level?
5 REPLIES 5
runxel
Legend
Brainmaniac wrote:
I have a very relevant question. What is the best way to convert a archicad model to a counterstrike level?
I doubt this is a "relevant" question in a forum where one would actually expect all users to be architecture professionals.
It's still an interesting and funny question, tho.

First of all, you're basically saying you want creating stuff for use in the Source Engine. In this case maps are created using the "Hammer Editor" by Valve. Worlds/Levels made there are "brush" based – a special technique not found in a CA(A)D. (Of course, since the requirements are very different.)
Thus, Hammer can't load external 3D formats.

That being said, there is a still a cumbersome way to do it.
There are plugins for 3DsMax and Sketchup.
You than can either directly export .vmf (Valve Map Format) for maps itself, or .dmx for any props (like cars/people/etc.).

With a lot of energy and time (you somehow need to bring your Archicad model to the other applications first, then repairing the errors resulting from exporting and lastly make needed adaptions (e.g. concave topology is forbidden in brush based engines)) it could be possible. But I highly question that this is making sense as well.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
This reminds me that my first 'CAD' was done using Doom Editing Utilities for DOS

Saving out to sketchup is easy enough with ArchiCAD, but you'll have to prepare the model for export there and it will take quite some time no doubt.

BTW, if you go in to 3D perspective in ArchiCAD, hit explore and hold down F P S keys at the same time, you'll get a crosshair. Just imagine the guns and things and you have your FPS game
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
runxel
Legend
Erwin wrote:
This reminds me that my first 'CAD' was done using Doom Editing Utilities for DOS
BTW, if you go in to 3D perspective in ArchiCAD, hit explore and hold down F P S keys at the same time, you'll get a crosshair. Just imagine the guns and things and you have your FPS game
Nice one! DoomCAD

Next main feature of Archicad 22: Fully integrated Frostbite Engine to "enable large scale multiplayer interactions in dynamic destructible environments".
Wreck it before it's build!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Than you for a really good answer!
stefan
Expert
I remember when playing with the older version of the Unreal engine that BIM models are not the actual level models (brush based BSP) but can be inserted as "Static Meshes" (normally used for props, such as boxes, closets etc...).

I would assume this is similar in the Source engine.

community.foundry.com/discuss/topic/91506/source-engine-2-hammer-2-editor
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!