BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Black point cloud

My grayscale point cloud is imported like a all Black point cloud into AC23 and AC22.
Into Archicad :

CloudCompare allow me to show these shades of grey by the same e57 file.
Into CloudCompare :

Is there a solution to keep the difference shade of grey ?

I've turned off the 2D and 3D Antialiasing in the Options - Work Environment - Advanced Redraw Options
Without success
I've tried with :
- a Macbook pro 2011 i7
- a iMac 2013 i5 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 Mo
- a Macbook pro 2018 i7

All these device with macOS 10.13.6

Always all black !
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
5 REPLIES 5
Am I the only one who wants to use Archicad to model from a point cloud ?
Should I conclude that since Archicad 19 it is possible to import point clouds but that this possibility is not operational more than 4 years later ?
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Hello,

With CloudCompare I have found how "to make my grayscale point cloud great again" !
Link to CloudCompare : HERE

The result into Archicad :

My grayscale Point Cloud = 7,5Mo
The original Point Cloud before optimisation = 306Mo
Christophe - FRANCE

I have used ReCap a couple of times to get some point clouds into ArchiCAD, however, I don't think it is all that useful for what I am doing, compared to using a stereographic camera, laser, tape, string, and sketch pad.... https://shop.leica-geosystems.com/learn/reality-capture/blk3d

The thing about a point could is that if you used it only when it is more efficient than all the other survey tools you use on every project anyway, the scanner would stay in the box most of the time.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Christophe,

Thank you for reporting the issue here and I am sorry about the experience!

Unfortunately, ARCHICAD is able to process color information only if they are RGB based. If the representation is "Scalar field" and not RGB color-based, the point cloud will be shown as black in ARCHICAD.

As you already found out, using CloudCompare to convert it to RGB will fix this issue. For those who are interested in it, you can open the file using CloudCompare, then go to Edit > Scalar fields > Convert to RGB.

Once again, I would like to thank you on behalf of us in GRAPHISOFT HQ Customer Support Services for your immense contribution and help on the forums!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

mnguyen wrote:
Once again, I would like to thank you on behalf of us in GRAPHISOFT HQ Customer Support Services for your immense contribution and help on the forums!

Your recognition is for me the best of my motivations.
I hope to contribute to an even better ARCHICAD!
Christophe - FRANCE

Learn and get certified!