BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Building Material - Default Numbers are incorrect

Anonymous
Not applicable
The default BM numbers are all incorrectly formatted.
The CSI-MF Division number should be the first number not the second number.

For example:
Incorrect number in AC,
22-07 24 | EIFS

The correct number for EIFS is:
07-24 00 | EIFS

This list shows the proper format:
07 24 00 Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems
07 24 13 Polymer-Based Exterior Insulation and Finish System
07 24 16 Polymer-Modified Exterior Insulation and Finish System
07 24 19 Water-Drainage Exterior Insulation and Finish System

For anyone interested this is a link to an EXCEL spreadsheet with the CSI MasterFormat numbering system.

Here is the Documentation wish: "Correct the Building Materials default numbering system".
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
I believe that the naming / numbering is part of the localization per country. CSI-MF is a US/Canadian thing - although other countries may use it.

As GS US in Boston creates the US template, you might contact US tech support to ask them about this - whether it is a US thing for them to address.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Eduardo Rolon
AFAIK the list is based on OMNICLASS not CSI

from BIM Engine
…If you don’t like the OmniClass designation of the Building Material 22-09 20 | Gypsum Board, don’t create a new Gypsum Board Building Material…
http://blog.graphisoftus.com/archicad-education/tips-and-tricks/template-creation-template-migration...
Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 2.09.23 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thanks for the link Mark.

Presumably GSUS pay for the licensing of this format. I do wonder how many US users actually prefer to conform to it and how many would prefer a less rigid format?

I would guess that most smaller firms or solo practioners especially would prefer a system that enabled faster creation of building materials that didn't require them to query an excel spreadsheet. I would even assume that many are adding in their own building materials that don't include any numbering which ends up putting their list in all sorts of disarray!;)

So whilst I agree the format should be corrected, I also think the Masterformat (Omniclass?) should be offered as an option.

Cheers,
Link.
Eduardo Rolon
Link did our post cross? The numbering system is OmniClass.

Link to the OmniClass excel and PDF spreadsheet

http://www.omniclass.org
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
ejrolon wrote:
AFAIK the list is based on OMNICLASS not CSI
Thanks, Eduardo! Had never heard of OmniClass. I see now that Table 22 is pretty much the same as CSI/MF - just the table 22 prefix. GS has a few documents that mention OmniClass in the same breath as IFC exxchange, but I suppose it would be nice if they had a Wiki page (etc) that explained their choice to long-time users accustomed to CSI numbering in the library and attributes.

I'm not familier with COBie at all, but see in the GS GOBie PDF that COBie requires various OmniClass classifications for IFC fields. The AC 17 IFC Ref Guide mentions that the US GSA requires OmniClass.

It's confusing a bit that the library organization doesn't follow OmniClass though, or have pre-populated IFC tags.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!