Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

CAD Project standards

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm interested in setting up ArchiCAD architectural standards for our office but am not sure if it can be done.

What I would like to do is create a template for new architectural projects with everything preset-up as far as librarys, dimensions, wall types etc.
I would like anyone who works on the project to have their settings overwritten and conform to that specific project settings.
Does anyone out there know it this can be done?

Currently our office has a hodgepodge of different libraries of current and previous items, different line weights, fonts, symbols, etc. Its very frustrating to find and tweak every drawing we encounter.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Settings up specialized templates and training businesses how to use them efficiently is the core of my business.

The key is to get as many people on the same level as possible and work as a team. Regular CAD meetings are essential for sharing knowledge and setting & maintaining standards. Fostering a feeling of all successfully aiming for a common goal is as valuable as all the software and training combined.

As for the template, it may be worth waiting for AC10 as the concept of pre-linking a project to a layout book will be much more streamlined now that the two programs are integrated. This doesn't necessarily mean that a template will be easier to create, but it will be much easier to use (in theory).

Having pre-placed views in your layout book is still going to be the best time saver. This can include all phases of the project depending on the size, or can be broken up into multiple projects and/or teamworked. Either way, I follow the 90% rule - include things you will use 90% of the time. You can't cover everything and it is easier and faster to delete excess information (such as extra pages in a layout book), than it is to create them.

As for standardized attributes, the best way in AC10 will be to use a standard tpl file, to start each project from. I think a conscientious CAD Manager may go one step further and include this in a standardized project folder structure that will be copied on a central server as or before the project begins. This way every folder for the job is predictably and consistently created in it's own template-like fashion, further increasing efficiency.

Libraries too should be similarly be organized in their own structured folders, on a central server, along with add-ons, favorites, modules, profiles & schemes, schedule settings, translators, etc.

There is no way to limit or lock the attributes, but with use of favorites, well thought out template defaults, strict standards agreed upon by all, and a high morale, the opportunity for error is greatly reduced. I've seen it happen all around the world! So think about getting your colleagues to conform to the office standrards first rather than overwriting them at the end.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Link.
Rick Thompson
Expert
One of my favorite additions to ac10 is the tweaking to the favorite menu. Now your list of favorites is narrowed down to the active tool, so the list can be managed better. I now keep favorites located in a prominent spot next to the tool bar. It's very easy and convenient to select the tool and select a wall type, window, part.. etc.
Picture 1.png
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display